Dumbbells are the cornerstone of any home gym workout program. Keeping those dumbbell organized with a dumbbell rack is key for circuit training and home gym safety. This guide lays out the dumbbell rack types, how to choose a dumbbell rack, and the best dumbbell racks for your home gym.
- 1 Dumbbell Rack Types
- 2 How to Choose a Dumbbell Rack for Your Home Gym
- 3 Top 11 Best Dumbbell Racks for a Home Gym
- 3.1 CAP A-Frame Dumbbell Rack
- 3.2 DF5200 Vertical Dumbbell Rack
- 3.3 Body-Solid Three-Tier Horizontal Dumbbell Rack (GDR363)
- 3.4 Body-Solid 3-Tier Horizontal Dumbbell Rack with Rubber Hex Dumbbells (GDR363-RFWS)
- 3.5 Troy VTX 3-Tier Dumbbell Rack
- 3.6 XMark 4 Foot 3 Tier Dumbbell Rack
- 3.7 Amazon Basics Neoprene Dumbbell Pairs and Sets with Stands
- 3.8 Balance From GoFit All-Purpose Dumbbells
- 3.9 Fitness Republic Solid Steel Dumbbell Rack Holder, A-Frame Dumbbell Storage Racks
- 3.10 Ader Vertical Dumbbell Rack for 8 Pairs
- 3.11 CAP Barbell Rubber Coated Dumbbell Set with Storage Rack
- 4 Conclusion
Dumbbell Rack Types
There are several dumbbell rack types. These include vertical, horizontal, A-frame, staggered, and tree racks.
It can be a pain (no pun intended) bending over all the time. After all, who can really be motivated to workout when you have a pinging pain in your back? The height of vertical dumbbell racks limits your need to constantly bend over. Aside from comfort, it is ideal for small gym spaces or if you just want to have more floor space to workout. Don’t put too much weight on them, though! Since its center of gravity is high, a it will topple over if you try to store a lot of heavy dumbbells.
Horizontal dumbbell racks are much like the vertical racks in that they also save space. Unlike a vertical rack, however, a horizontal dumbbell rack can hold heavier weights. Still, they don’t come without headaches. Racking heavy weights on this rack can become irksome after you’ve banged them on the upper shelf a few times.
The most common type of dumbbell holder is the A-frame. It, too, is similar to the vertical dumbbell rack. It’s a space saver, so someone short on space for their home gym will consider it to be an ideal choice. Also, they are best for light weights because they are not very sturdy. In fact, the only real difference is that the A-frame racks are, of course, shaped like the letter “A.” This means the notches are staggered and allow for easy access.
Let’s face it. Some of you want to feel a bigger burn and your workout wouldn’t be complete if you couldn’t use heavier weights. If that’s the case, the staggered dumbbell rack is probably the better option for you. The structure and design of the staggered dumbbell rack is very sturdy so it can safely hold a variety of sizes. They generally angle out so you’ll have more room to retrieve and replace them without worrying about smashing your hands, but you will have to sacrifice more space than you would for all the previous designs.
Sometimes things get hectic at the office. While you can’t have a full workout session in your suit and tie or your skirt suit set, you can close your office door and get a couple of lightweight reps in. And, a compact tree weight rack is the best stand for such a compact workout. It’s also suitable if you use weights while doing light cardio workouts. Light workouts mean smaller weights so you should only use neoprene weights or very light dumbbells on this rack.
How to Choose a Dumbbell Rack for Your Home Gym
When determining what dumbbell rack types is perfect for your home gym, there are several factors you should take into consideration. Among others, these include size, weight types, material, and your budget.
When you are trying to decide what dumbbell rack size is best, you have to consider how many pairs of dumbbells you plan to work with and their measurements. If you want a wide range of weights and they include a couple of heavy weights, you will probably have to sacrifice some space in your home gym and purchase a staggered dumbbell rack. The bottom line is that you will have to figure out if you are okay with sacrificing space or heavier weights to figure out if the dumbbell rack size is right.
You will have to determine whether you will want to later incorporate kettlebells or weight plates onto your rack. If so, you will want to choose a rack that is constructed for that purpose. If it is within your budget and you’d like to start off with a complete set, you can find plenty of options to purchase a dumbbell set with rack so everything matches.
The best material for your dumbbell rack is heavy gauge steel. The heavier, the sturdier, so you won’t have to worry about toppling or injury. It would also be a good idea for the iron to be coated so you won’t have chipping and scratching issues. Other features you want to be mindful of are protective features: rubberized feet to prevent damage to your floors and rubber trays to prevent damage to your weights.
The cost of dumbbell racks have a wide range-anywhere from $20 to upwards of $1,000. The complete sets are the most expensive, but if build you gym over time, you can start with some of the lower-priced racks. Consider the features that are included and determine if those are sufficient for your needs.
Top 11 Best Dumbbell Racks for a Home Gym
With the above things in mind, here are 11 of the best dumbbell racks on the market today, listed in no particular order:
The CAP A-Frame Dumbbell Rack is stable and reliable. It allows you to store 5 pairs of dumbbells up to 200 lbs! There’s no need to worry about damaging your dumbbells while they are being stored because each notch is lined with protective plastic. Also, not only is it a space saver, but has foot covers to protect your floor from scuffing or scratching. With its black powder coat finish, any style of dumbbell will match.
- HOLDS 200 POUNDS Designed to hold 5 pairs of CAP hex or rubber hex dumbbells ranging from 5 25 pounds; Mix and match your dumbbells to fit this rack, up to 35 pounds; Some combinations may not fit
- SPACE SAVING DESIGN The A frame design of this rack maximizes floor space by storing dumbbells in an “A” shape, or vertical fashion; Easily access and store dumbbells
- DURABLE AND RELIABLE Finished with a durable black powder coat and constructed of steel tubing, this rack will safely hold up to 200 pounds worth of dumbbells
One of the major features of this this rack is that it is very sturdy and durable. You can easily rack a 2-25 lb or 5-40 lb set of dumbbells. Its heavy gauge steel makes it nearly impossible to topple over. And, its powder coat finish gives it a long-lasting quality. The rack also fits into small spaces so you have more workout room. Its simple assembly is another feature that makes this rack an easy choice.
- Holds 8 Pair Hex style dumbbells
- Tough Powdercoat Paint
- Space Saving Vertical Design
Security, organization and convenience are key features of this dumbbell rack. It is designed with heavy-gauge steel which makes it very sturdy. It will support up to 10 pairs of your hex dumbbells between 5 to 50 lbs so you can enjoy easy access all in one place. As designed, it can be placed against a wall or even in the center of a room.. The purchase includes the Body-Solid Lifetime In-Home warranty which covers all parts of the dumbbell rack for as long as you own it. Body-Solid Cast Iron Hex Dumbbells or Rubber Coated Hex Dumbbells are the best complement for this rack.
- Sturdy and space-efficient weight rack helps keep workout areas organized and safe
- Stores 10 pairs of hex dumbbells between 5 and 50 pounds (sold separately)
- Can be placed against a wall or in the center of a room
If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of finding the appropriate dumbbells for your rack and buying them individually, this is the perfect purchase! This rack comes complete with a full set of 5-50 lb hex dumbbells and a protective exercise mat to place underneath. Its heavy gauge steel construction makes it sturdy enough to place against your wall or in the center of your workout space. The dumbbells are rubber coated for additional safety. The protective mat is also a welcome feature because it allows versatility. You can feel comfortable using it on your floors or carpet knowing your surface has a reliable safeguard.
- Includes dumbbell rack, 10 pairs of 5-50-pound rubber-coated hex dumbbells, and equipment mat
- Sturdy and space-efficient weight rack helps keep workout areas organized and safe
- Can be placed against a wall or in the center of a room
The Troy VTX 3-Tier Dumbbell Rack will be the perfect addition to your home gym. It is extremely sturdy and has the incredible capacity to hold up to 23 pairs of USA and VTX dumbbells ranging from 3 lbs to 100 lbs. It can also hold up to 20 pairs of Troy dumbbells from 5 lbs to 100 lbs. With its staggered design, you can easily and safely handle your dumbbells. Assembly is simple so you’ll be up and running in no time!
- Constructed with 12-gauge heavy duty 2? x 2? tubing
- 94" Long x 26" Wide x 41" Tall
- The staggered shelving makes handling the dumbbells easy and safe
If you are tired of squeezing your dumbbells into place on, the XMark 3-tier dumbbell rack offers a great solution. Its wide, angled shelves provide more than enough space between dumbbells for you to safely and comfortably retrieve and place your dumbbells. Another added measure of safety is the thick shelving which helps keep the dumbbells in place.
With its heavy duty construction, you can put up to 10 pairs of 5 lb to 50 lb dumbbells on the rack. And with the attached rubber feet, you won’t even have to worry about damaging your floors.
- DESIGN: The XM-3107.1 features angled shelves for easy loading and retrieval of dumbbells, spacious shelves provide ample space between dumbbells and rubber feet protect your flooring.
- HEAVY DUTY: Why would you ever consider putting 550 lbs of dumbbells on a light weight rack. Weighing 75 pounds, our dumbbell rack is one of the heaviest residential racks you'll find.
- SAFETY FIRST: Featuring a taller shelf lip, the XM-3107.1 holds dumbbells in place more securely reducing the likelihood of a dumbbell slipping off the rack.
Never miss a lightweight or resistance training workout. You can use the AmazonBasics 20-pound dumbbell set at home or pack it to go literally anywhere with you. Its compact design allows you to take it with you on vacation or even in your office. The set includes three pairs of dumbbells in 3 lb, 5 lb, and 8 lb sizes. There are options for heavier weights. The stand can be easily assembled, so set-up will always be a cinch no matter where you are.
- 32 pound dumbbell set with stand, including one pair of 3, 5, and 8 pound weights
- Easy-grip neoprene coating for a secure hold
- Printed weight number on each end cap and color-coded for quick identification
You can keep it light and still get in a great workout with the Balance All-Purpose Dumbbells which come complete with a tree weight stand. You’ll get 3 pairs of dumbbells in 3 lb, 5 lb, and 8 lb sizes. The included weight stand is compact and easy to assemble so you can take it with you wherever you go. You also get an assembly tool included with your purchase which is backed by a 2-year warranty.
- 3 pairs of dumbbells in 3-pound, 5-pound, and 8-pound sizes. Ideal for resistance and other trainings
- The durable, neoprene material coated cast iron is great for indoor and outdoor workouts
- Neoprene coating on weights allow for a secure grip. The Hex shape of the dumbbells prevents them from rolling
You’ll find that the Fitness Republic dumbbell rack offers not only the convenience of space, but also galvanized screws to prevent oil compounds from accumulating on the surface of the rack. This keeps the rack rust-free and durable. You have a range of dumbbell options from neoprene to vinyl and other rubber dumbbells.
The rack is available in both 3 and 5 tiers with a weight capacity of 120 lbs and 200 lbs. But no matter which tier you choose, you can rest assured you’ll still have ample space. You can even fit it nicely in your closet so it’s not visible after your workout. Bonus features include defensive spreads to keep your floors protected. Defensive plastic on the racks protect your hand weights.
The only traditional feature not included is the harsh smell that is associated with some other dumbbell racks.
- RELIABLE AND DURABLE: Dumbell Storage Racks are made of steel, this weight rack will hold up to 120 pounds worth of dumbbells
- SPACE-SAVING DESIGN: Its Space saving design allows you to place the weight tree rack in any part of your gym or home for easy access to your free weights
- SECURES YOUR DUMBBELLS AND FLOORS: The base of the dumbbell rack stand additionally includes defensive spreads to keep your floors from being harmed. These weight racks protects your dumbbells and your floor equally.
The Ader vertical dumbbell is a 2-Sided spacesaver. If you have a set of moderate weights and need additional room, this rack would be ideal for you. It holds 8 pairs of hex, rubber or chrome dumbbells up to 35 lbs or 50 lbs. The spacing between the dumbbells is also sufficient enough to retrieve and replace the weights without issue.
- 2-Sided vertical dumbbell rack (color may vary)
- Handle rest part about 4.75"
- Rack holds 8 pairs of hex, rubber or chrome dumbbells (up to 35 & 50 lb only)
This compact dumbbell rack contains 5 lb to 25 lbs dumbbells with a 20-Inch rack for easy storage. You can store this rack anywhere with ease knowing it won’t clutter the area. The dumbbells are made of durable cast iron for long-lasting use so you won’t have to worry about replacements anytime soon.
- SET INCLUDES – A pair of 5-pound, 10-pound, 15-pound, 20-pound, and 25-pound rubber hex dumbbells with 2-tier dumbbell rack to store the weights
- CONVENIENT STORAGE – The 2-tiers provide 40-inches of dumbbell storage and the angled bottom shelf provides easy access to weights. Tough, durable black powder coated finish
- DURABLE & RELIABLE – Dumbbell heads are made from ASTM A48 Class 20 grey iron and joined together by a 1018 cold rolled solid steel handle (sizes 15-120lb). Rubber coating is extremely durable.
Now that you know the different types and factors for choosing a dumbbell rack for your home gym, consider expanding. This could be functional fitness gear like kettlebells and medicine balls, to a full on Smith Machine.
Whatever you decide, an organized gym is a effective one that maximizes circuit training and gives you a sense of pride. As you invest in your home gym, consider how much space you have and where best to position your dumbbell rack and accessories, especially when circuit training.