From the annals of weird fitness, an under desk bike or elliptical exerciser is a great way to stay healthy while working. This is especially true during times where you might have long hours/work deadlines or are required to stay at home. This guide walks you through why you need an under desk exerciser, the differences between under desk bikes and ellipticals, and top 11 best under desk bikes and elliptical exercisers to choose from.
Why You Need an Under Desk Exerciser
The top reasons you need a desk exerciser are to stay healthy, lose weight, tone up, and stay active. It is no secret that a sedative lifestyle can be unhealthy. To be sure your health is great, you can stay fit and active all while sitting.
Whether you are working or have to sit at a desk for long periods it can take a toll on your overall health. In general, an under desk workout machine allows you to incorporate movement into your daily sitting routine. It is a convenient way to keep your body active while sitting.
In particular, cardio health is key. With a mini exerciser, you can do cardio and aerobic exercises. These exercises help to burn fat and calories which can lead to weight loss. The more cardio exercises you do, the stronger your heart becomes. Stronger hearts have to work less hard to pump blood throughout your body.
For instance, increased activity with a desk exerciser can potentially reduce your risk of medical conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes.
Consequently, prolonged sitting can cause muscle tiredness, cramping, and fatigue. To help break this monotony, a mini exerciser can be useful. It may not seem noticeable to you, but a less active lifestyle can have long term negative effects.
Tone Your Body
Another reason you need an under desk exercise is to help tone your body. The more calories you burn, the more weight you lose. When you lose excess weight, you have the ability to better tone your body.
When you continuously use a desk exerciser it will begin to work certain muscle groups to form better tone and definition. In particular, your leg muscles should show more definition and strength over time.
In addition, other areas of your body that can be improved and toned are your calves, hamstrings, hip flexors, and your quadriceps. You can also improve your core muscles while working out. To obtain the maximum core results, the chair you decide to use also plays a major part.–
Under Desk Workout Machine Types
There are two main types of under desk exercisers, they are andesk bike and an under desk elliptical.
Under Desk Bikes
In essence, You can also refer to this machine as an under desk cycle. A key feature is the small bicycle pedals. The pedals usually travel in a circle, similar to the action of a stationary bike.
If you are trying to decide on which type of under desk exerciser to choose, remember your feet size should be considered. Desk bikes tend to have small pedals, be sure to find one that accommodates your foot size.
Additionally, A benefit of the under desk bike is that it is versatile. You can place it on the floor and receive a great workout, or you can also place it on a bench or tabletop. Because of this, you can get an upper-body work out as well by moving the pedals with your hand.
Under Desk Ellipticals
Another class of under desk exercisers is the elliptical. These machines have larger pedals than the bikes. The pedal resembles a boot shape platform. Very similar to the traditional elliptical. An under desk elliptical is able to accommodate larger feet.
With this type of exerciser, you can expect a forward and backward motion, instead of a circular motion. A mini elliptical provides you with a walking or climbing stairs motion.
The benefits of under desk ellipticals are that you can target different leg muscles. In addition, depending on how you place your foot, you will be able to cater to certain muscles. Some people like to work out flat-footed, on their heel, or on their tip-toe to get a more intensified work out.
In reality, the desk bikes and ellipticals are the most common under desk exercisers. Both machines work on your lower body and provide you with smooth motion while sitting. Both are similar in their size, function, and weight. You can use both in an office setting. The main differences are the motion and size of the pedals.
Top 11 Best Under Desk Bike Pedal and Elliptical Exercisers
Now that you know more about the benefits and different types of desk exercisers, below are some of the top options.
Staying fit in the office is made easy with the DeskCycle bike. Regardless of space size, you can enjoy this bike. The bike is made of high-quality material, which means it is durable. You are able to adjust the legs to make it comfortable for your seating arrangement.
- Magnetic resistance – 8 different calibrate resistance levels
- Works with desks as low as 27 inches
- Smooth pedal motion, great for quiet workouts
- Maximum pedal height of 10 inches, versatile for different heights
- After continued use, there may be a loud noise while riding
- Not suitable to use with a rolling chair
- SMOOTH & SILENT: Our patented under desk bike uses premium magnetic resistance for an extra smooth pedal motion. This is easier on your joints and whisper-quiet, so you won't bother those around you
- LOW PROFILE: DeskCycle 2 mini exercise bike is adjustable. Drop it down to 9" for the lowest max pedal height of any desk bike pedal exerciser on the market! Works with desks as low as 27" for people 5'10" & under
- BUILD STRENGTH: With more than twice the resistance range of other mini exercise bikes, our 8 settings range from very easy to really hard. Great for using as physical therapy equipment.
This under desk cycle can be used for both leg and arm exercises. In the same way as other brands, the benefits include blood circulation and muscle movement. If you work in a close office setting or simply want quiet while you work, this cycle runs smoothly and quietly.
- Easy to use and store
- There are 8 adjustable resistance levels to increase the intensity of your workout
- The pedals have slip rubber pads for a more controlled workout
- Low-impact, not too strenuous on your joints
- Forward and reverse training
- The pedals make a clicking sound
- The screen can be difficult to manage
- 【Smooth and Quiet Desk Cycle】YOSUDA under desk bike pedal exerciser have a high-quality samarium cobalt magnet that provides ample load for smoother, quieter pedaling. You can focus on your work (reply emails, read books, watch TV, etc.) without bothering your coworkers/ family members.
- 【Low Impact Mini Exercise Bike】Stationary bike pedals for desk is low impact so it is great on joints. It is not only designed for office white-collar, but also for the elderly, sports injured people, rehabilitation to do physical therapy to relieves pain, restores and maintains motor function.
- 【8 Adjustable Resistance】YOSUDA desk cycle bike pedal exerciser comes with 8 adjustable levels of magnetic tension, you can adjust resistance based on your needs. 22 pounds weight, 4 anti-slip rubber pads, it is stable enough to keep in place even under the greatest resistance level.
The safety straps included on this mini bike provides you with extra support while riding. You can use this machine with your feet or hands. The safety and stability are increased with this bike due to the capability of being able to adjust the pedals to your liking.
- LCD monitor displays time, distance, calories, and speed
- 220-pound maximum capacity
- 8 levels of adjustable tension
- Made of durable materials
- The pedal screws tend to get loose quickly
- Can be noisy while using
- SAFETY STRAPS: Pedals work well with both feet and hands. Pedals are adjustable to fit foot or hands for safety and stability.
- ADJUSTABLE TENSION: 8 Levels of tension for a versatile workout. Adjust resistance to challenge your arms and legs toward building muscle.
- EASY TO READ LCD: Displays Time, Speed, Distance, ODM, Calories
The Ancheer pedal exerciser strengthens your arm and leg muscles. You can burn calories and get the necessary movement while sitting. The mini bike has a non-slip base and secure straps to prevent sliding and help with stability.
- LCD monitor to keep track of statistics
- Versatile workout with 8 levels of tension resistance
- Smooth pedal motion
- Adjustable buckle to help the cycler stay close to your chair while using. Safer conditions.
- Anti-skid pedals
- Free App to record your workouts
- Some customers reported difficulties with Bluetooth capability
- Pedal straps may roll over easily
- Fairly Easy to Assemble: ANCHEER fitness trampoline comes with 80% pre-assembled. Only 8 minutes to complete the assembly with our special tool.
- 2023 Material Upgrade: BPA-free pure natural nylon is more elastic, refuses to tear. The bottom boron steel structure is indestructible and refuses to shake. Bounces at will, be brave and be yourself!
- Premium Bungees: The high-quality bungees provide a smoother and quieter experience without disturbing others. 1.68 mm thickened bungees deliver a comfortable workout experience and caring protection for the knees and back.
If you are looking for a more affordable under desk workout option, this is a great choice. It has a multi-functional LCD display to help you keep track of your work out. The foldable design makes it great for easy storage in your office or home.
- Easy foldable compact design
- Ability to track your workout
- Great for toning muscles, helps stimulate blood flow and increase muscle strength
- Resistance can be adjusted easily with a knob for greater intensity
- Chrome frame that is durable to avoid wobbling and shaking
- Anti-slip pedals for good traction
- Some customers reported issues with the LCD monitor not working
- The resistance levels are not strong
- 【MULTI-FUNCTION LCD DISPLAY】Comes with LCD display shows 4 values clearly: exercise time, revolution count, cycles and revolutions per minute (RPM) and calories burned, tracks the progress of your workout.
- 【FOLDABLE DESIGN】Easy to fold and open, no assembling is required, legs fold under for compact storage and the foldable design makes the peddler portable. Our pedal exerciser makes it easy to get safe and effective exercise while working, watching TV or any other time when you're sitting and your legs are free.
- 【ADJUSTABLE TENSION】Adjust the knob to control the resistance level and exercise intensity for a personalized exercise experience. Great low impact exercise for beginners and perfect for rehabilitation following a surgery or injury.
The Cubii Jr. is a compact ergonomic desk elliptical. Overall when using this machine, you will have low-impact on your joints. This is a great benefit if you suffer from joint pain or injuries. Another great feature is that there is a variety of resistance levels.
- Smooth gliding motion while using
- Fast assembly, it only takes 4 screws
- The built-in display model lets you track your workout in real-time. You can view calories, strides, and distance.
- Although the ride is smooth, the machine can be noisy
- May be difficult to maneuver depending on your desk type
- UNDER DESK ELLIPTICAL- Great Mothers Day Gift! Cubii JR1 pedal exerciser is the leading compact and ergonomic mini elliptical that lets you workout or rehab while you sit at home or the office
- WORK FROM HOME FITNESS - Now you can exercise while you work from home - right at your desk! Burn calories, lose weight, and feel great with Cubii elliptical machines for home use
- LOW IMPACT, ULTRA SMOOTH ELIPTICAL EXERCISE MACHINE - Move a little more each day to reach your wellness goals! Use this under-desk elliptical, burn calories, improve mobility, and increase strength
With the Stamina Inmotion Elliptical, you are able to do an effective cardio workout. The machine is lightweight and small enough for easy storage. If you are looking for a versatile exerciser, you can vary the intensity of your workout by simply turning the adjustable dial. There are also multiple movement options.
- Can be used sitting or standing
- You can target different muscles by moving forward or reverse
- Available in three colors
- Great for offices, home, or workout while gaming
- Possible wobbling due to the design of the frame
- When used for prolonged periods it can become noisy
- FOOT PEDAL EXERCISER - Our Desk Pedal Exerciser is a compact exercise peddler that provides effective, efficient cardio and muscle-toning workout. Even while gaming or watching TV, make cardio easy with our seated elliptical.
- SITTING AND STANDING CARDIO TRAINING - This compact and lightweight mini strider can be used while sitting or standing. Pedal in forward or in reverse to target different muscles with low-attention leg exercise movements that can help improve circulation.
- COMFORTABLE, COMPACT DESIGN - This desk foot pedal exerciser is designed with textured non-slip end caps that hold your feet in place and gives you a low-impact routine that is gentle to your back, knees, hips, and ankles.
This mini elliptical has a smart design. It is one of the few of its kind. You can use this machine both sitting or standing up. There are adjustable angle pedals for an incline feeling. Hence its name, the pedals are designed to give you a perfect fit.
- Can fit under any desk
- The larger wheel affords you a quieter smoother ride
- Overall good durability
- Series 1050 monitor included tracking progress
- The instructional manual is not detailed enough
- Some parts can make a squeaking sound
- HIGHLY VERSATILE DESIGN: JFIT mini elliptical features a unique, smart design with adjustable angle pedals that allows for both under desk and standing up exercising, providing you with the perfect fit for your needs
- SMALL BUT MIGHTY: With a compact design, this mini elliptical fits easily under any desk, with a top handle to allow you to move it anywhere and a front handle for additional support, it can also hold onto a chair with wheels
- MAGNETIC TENSION DIAL: Featuring a durable and easy to turn magnetic tension bar for adjustable resistance, set your pace and challenge your mind with reaching those goals to keep you moving at home or office
The FitDesk Elliptical has the lowest pedal rotation height available, making it great for smaller shorter desk areas. You only need approximately 8 inches of height to use this elliptical. The overall gliding and riding motion are smooth and low-impact.
- There is a hands-free adjustment to change the tension. Your foot can help to shift the resistance.
- The 6 function display is clear and easy to read
- Durable and balanced flywheel to help with uninterrupted motion
- Clicking sounding noise while in use
- EXERCISE WHILE SITTING: The FitDesk Under Desk Elliptical is a versatile way to do some light exercise while you're sitting at your desk or chilling out at home. It can also be used as an exercise peddler, even while watching TV, playing video games, or talking on the phone. This under desk elliptical machine is ideal for anyone who sits for long periods and wants to add exercise to their daily routine.
- FEATURES QUIET AND SMOOTH ELLIPTICAL MOTION: The Under Desk Elliptical creates fluid and smooth movement for your legs while keeping your knees from hitting underneath your desk. Its non-impact elliptical flywheel with whisper-quiet motion makes it a wonderful option to help you be active while sitting, working, or even in meetings.
- HANDS-FREE ADJUSTMENT: The 8-position magnetic resistance with foot-shifter of this portable desk elliptical exercise equipment allows for hands-free tension adjustments, so you can stay focused on your work without having to reach down and fiddle with settings. It has eight levels of magnetic resistance, so you can modify the intensity to fit your needs and goals.
This is probably one of the most compact machines on the list. The small size makes it suitable for most desk sizes and office spaces. The machine has a built-in display monitor to record your fitness stats. Although the overall build is small, it still has multiple movement options.
- You can choose between auto and manual speed
- Pedals can move forward or backward – better exercise range
- Helps to improve cardiovascular function
- Low-impact safe machine. Good for beginners
- Some of the parts are plastic which may compromise durability
- The LED Built-in Display Monitor which keeps track time, distance, scan, speed, calories burned.
- Depending on your needs and abilities, there are Auto (P1-P3) and Manual (5-levels speed) for your choice.
- Improve body flexibility and muscle strength, as well as helps to promote cardiovascular functions and improve coordination of arms and legs.
The Ativafit exercise trainer can support both a sitting and standing position. Both forward and reverse motion can be achieved with this machine. This lets you target more muscles while exercising. You can expect a sturdy workout with the anti-slip pedals. The pedals have a textured massage material, making your work out comfortable.
- Built-in monitor with 5 functions
- Compact and lightweight design easy for transport
- Large and durable anti-slip pedals – avoid friction damage.
- Stable base and adjustable resistance
- You may need extra tools to assemble
- Some of the screws may wear down quickly
Looking at the under desk exerciser options, you can see that this is not a fad but proven to help your health. The key is to choose either a bike or elliptical depending on your preference/desk space. If you want to expand your fitness horizons, check out the 11 weird and strange fitness equipment (that actually work) article.