If your running or weightlifting routine is getting a little old, you may want to try some weird fitness for a new challenge. In fact, incorporating some strange fitness into your program may support overall goals by targeting different muscle groups. This guide walks through 11 weird and strange fitness equipment (that actually work), so dive in and prepare to get weird!
Getting Creative With Fitness
Most of us do not relish the thought of spending hours in the gym lifting weights or running for endless hours on the treadmill, so there is a need to get creative in order to make fitness a lifelong pursuit. There have been some crazy contraptions invented in the name of fitness, and not all of them work as promised. How can you be sure that your money invested in every crazy contraption and weird fitness tool from ab wheels to elastic fitness ropes is money well spent?
Not to worry, fitness fanatic; the following list of fitness contraptions may look weird, but studies and results have shown them to work….and work well. Give them an honest try, and while you may laugh at yourself in the mirror, you might just find a few that promise as delivered, and you’ll be staring back at a slim and svelte physique in no time. Here is our list of some truly weird and strange fitness devices that actually work:
Battling ropes have been steadily rising in popularity in the last few years; while many have only seen them in celebrity fitness reality shows, just a few swings with these strong and steady ropes will be proof that they actually work at toning your arms, upper body and core. Battling ropes are a great way to work on your cardiovascular strength while toning all parts of your body simultaneously.
- Allows for full-body metabolic conditioning
- Tones upper arms, shoulders, and core very effectively
- Affordable and easy to implement into your fitness routine
- Take up a fair amount of space
- Too heavy for some to use
- Can be hard on the hands
- - NEXT-LEVEL DURABILITY: Our best-selling battle rope just got even more durable. The 3 strand-thick training rope isn’t just made using a heavy-duty polyester blend, it also now comes with a full nylon sleeve for superior fray protection. The last exercise rope you’ll need to buy.
- - GREAT GRIP; BETTER WORKOUTS: No gloves? No problem! The 10” waterproof heat-shrink caps at the ends treat you to a sure grip while also preventing your undulation fitness rope from unraveling. Perfect for home garage gyms, commercial gyms, and use indoors & outdoors.
- - TRANSFORM YOUR BODY: Take your conditioning to the next level while giving your back, arms, core, shoulders, and legs a rewarding burn. This heavy combat rope is also great for cardio; set up your space, step up to the challenge, and experience a calorie-scorching workout.
Depending on your movement, these exercise sliders have the potential to tone and tighten arms, shoulders, and abs. Use the thicker side for carpets, and the foam side for slick services to avoid injury. Mountain climbers, lunges, and reverse crunches are made more enjoyable for pennies on the dollar, as these little beauties have a low cost per pair. Pick some up, and see how creative you can get with your movement regime.
- Easy to use; portable, and can be used almost anywhere
- Can be used for a variety of exercises
- Can cause injuries if they are not used correctly
- Have to be cleaned on a regular basis to maintain their efficiency
- ★ ULTIMATE CORE ENGAGEMENT ★ – Synergee Core Sliders are perfect for fun and challenging full-body workouts. The Sliders introduce a balance and stability challenge to every movement, which forces you to engage your core muscles and results in your abdominals becoming stronger (and better-looking) than ever!
- ★ COMPACT & CONVENIENT ★ – These sliders are convenient for so many reasons: they are small, light, and compact, which makes it easy to store them when not in use. Plus, every move is low-impact, reducing your risk of energy. These Sliders very portable for people who are constantly on the go or for athletes who like to workout when they travel! Fits easily into a backpack, purse, and carry-on.
- ★ DUAL SIDED FOR MULTIPLE SURFACES ★ – You’ll be able to bring your Sliders everywhere you go and with the dual sides you can slide on multiple surfaces! Nothing can stop you from getting your core workout in! The Foam side works best on hard, smooth surfaces like hardwood floors. The Plastic side works best on softer surfaces, like carpet or turf.
Strapping weights to arms and legs might not be the most attractive look that you can sport during a workout, but it’s a great way to get your fitness on at home. Increased weight resistance allows you to burn more calories, tighten and tone your problem areas, and even improve your cardiovascular fitness. Whether you add them to a walk, a HIIT session, or even on your bike, you’ll increase your results and improve your fitness with every movement.
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Builds bone density and strength
- Possibility for injuries
- Can irritate the skin around the ankles and wrists with excess sweating and friction
- COMES IN A PAIR: 2 ankle weight straps with adjustable weights each weighing 5 lbs
- ADJUSTABLE WEIGHTS: 5 individual sand-filled bags of weight secured in individual pouches, weights can be adjusted from 2 to 10lbs for increased resistance
- EASY TO ADJUST: Self-gripping Velcro closure for easy removal or great fit for ankles and wrists
These are fast becoming all the rage for those of us with sedentary jobs and lifestyles, as there are no more excuses for not fitting in a workout. A bike desk or under-desk mobile bike is designed to be used while you are sitting, and even those days of pouring over contracts and correcting assignments from students can be active; moving you toward better health and fitness.
- Low profile design makes it ideal for use under most desks
- Adjustable modes keep workouts challenging and fun
- Difficult for the upper body to remain completely still without stabilization
- Clearance under the desk may be difficult for tall people
- SMOOTH & SILENT: Our patented under desk bike uses premium magnetic resistance for an extra smooth pedal motion. This is easier on your joints and whisper-quiet, so you won't bother those around you
- LOW PROFILE: DeskCycle 2 mini exercise bike is adjustable. Drop it down to 9" for the lowest max pedal height of any desk bike pedal exerciser on the market! Works with desks as low as 27" for people 5'10" & under
- BUILD STRENGTH: With more than twice the resistance range of other mini exercise bikes, our 8 settings range from very easy to really hard. Great for using as physical therapy equipment.
At first glance, the ab wheel is not formidable, but the results that can be gained from its regular use are quite impressive. The reason that the ab roller wheel works so well is that it does not provide any type of stability except that which you give with your upper body and core.
The farther you roll out away from your feet and your knees, the more intense your workout will be. Be careful; you have to ease into movement with an ab wheel so as not to injure yourself.
- Portable; can be taken and used almost anywhere
- Relatively inexpensive
- Can cause strain on the lower back
- Uses no resistance other than the weight of your own body
- Dual-purpose foot/hand grips
- Soft-touch rubber for a superior grip
- Heavy-duty wheel with solid steel axle construction
A smooth foam roller might not help you tighten, but it will do wonders for improving your flexibility, range of motion, and muscle tone. A few minutes of foam rolling over major muscle groups will reduce tension, help release toxins from muscles, and help you to reduce soreness and stiffness that could cause you to stop working out altogether. Particularly effective after strenuous workouts, a foam roller can save you hours of recovery time and put you on the path to ultimate health and fitness.
There are also vibrating foam rollers and rumble rollers if you are looking for a little extra for those particularly dense muscles that don’t respond to the normal foal roll. It’s not the same as a deep tissue massage, but it is as close as you can get on your own.
If you want to learn more, check out our
Top 11 best foam rollers and massage sticks article.
- Stretches out tight muscles and ligaments
- Helps make recovery time more efficient
- Can be quite painful when you first start using one
- Not ideal for those with limited mobility; you may need assistance to use
- High-density foam roller with molded edges
- Ideal for balance, strengthening, flexibility, and rehab exercises
- Made in the USA from molded polypropylene to maintain firmness
Studies prove that bouncing is an excellent way to drain the body’s lymphatic system, which is a key player in strengthening your immune system. Incorporate some resistance bands for a great cardio/upper body workout while you’re working on toning up your insides simultaneously.
- Helps to improve bone mass and increase muscle strength
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Improper use can lead to injury
- Increased liability issues if children use trampolines
- TRAMPOLINE FITNESS✅ Colour: black-blue; Ø trampoline approx. 126cm (corner to corner); Jumping surface approx. Ø 95cm (corner to corner); user weight up to 130kg;
- DELIVERY✅ fitness trampoline, 36 rubber ropes, handle adjustable in 5 heights, incl. edge cover, special tools for tightening the ropes, detailed assembly instructions.
- DETAILS✅ Soft and comfortable suspension; ideal for fitness exercises; non-slip rubber feet; trampoline does not lift when jumping.
At first glance, this contraption does not seem to do anything; it’s what you do with it that counts in the long run. Whether you want to tone muscles, improve flexibility, or improve posture, a Pilates ring can take yoga, pilates, and even dance workouts to the next level of fitness.
- Good for overall strength
- Helps to tone muscles and aids in inch loss
- Not as many calories are burned with this type of workout
- Must adhere to the precise, correct form to get results
- 14 INCH DIAMETER WITH NON-SLIP FOAM PADDED GRIPS:Toning rings or Pilates Rings as some call them are becoming very popular in the fitness community due to their versatility, portable design and effectiveness.
- GET FIT AND STRONG: Pilates improves your muscle tone and fitness when you practice regularly - at home or when traveling. Works for beginners or for men and women in peak sport training condition.
- PERFECT YOUR POSTURE: perfect for those looking to develop muscular strength, increase body awareness, improve endurance, balance, and correct posture. Focus on arms, butt or other areas that need shaping.
First concocted in Grandpa’s garage with a plywood plank and an old volleyball, the balance board has evolved to become an effective tool that helps you work on balance, coordination, and core strength. An anti-fatigue wobble board creates an effect that forces you to work for several muscle groups simultaneously, improving balance, and coordination, and strengthening all muscles in the lower body and core.
- Improves lower body strength and balance
- Improves core fitness
- Standing desk benefits
- Balance boards are not ideas for kids and those with limited mobility
- Can take a few days and a few falls to get the hang of it
- ✓ IMPROVE STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING: Our wooden rocker board is designed to stimulate your core and improve agility, reaction time, and stamina. This low-impact exercise board is great for all.
- ✓ COMPACT AND PORTABLE: At 17.5” x 13.5” x 3” in size, our lightweight balance exerciser/fit tilt board can be used for therapy or training at home, the gym, or while traveling. A perfect standing desk accessory.
- ✓ SLIP-RESISTANT SURFACE: The top of each rocker balance board features an easy-grip surface that’s gentle on bare feet but helps keep you in place safely and securely.
If you have a penchant for martial arts and kung fu movies, this piece of fitness equipment might just be for you. Known to create a smooth, easy-flowing resistance movement if done properly, it will tighten and tone arms and shoulders while giving your core a run for its money too. Just make sure you have enough room to swing it around!
- Support and exercise tutorials are available online
- Improves proprioception and balance
- Can seem repetitive for some
- An expensive system if you are only going to use it occasionally
- The original and authentic Bodyblade created by physical therapist Bruce Hymanson.
- Smooth and variable resistive workout. Automatically adjusts to the fitness level of the user. Challenges every major muscle group.
- Lightweight and portable - travels anywhere. Weight: 1.75 lbs, Length: 4 feet.
Upon first glance, you might wonder what the inventor of this weird fitness tool was thinking—-surely they can’t be for EVERYONE. The Kangaroo jumps help revolutionize high-impact workouts, taking stress and strain off the joints and allowing even the most immobile to enjoy activities like running plyo, and boxing.
Careful—there is an element of balance involved in using kangaroo jumps, so go slow, ease into the activity until you are used to them, and incorporate supports if needed.
You’ll enjoy getting more active while almost 80 percent of the shock to your joints is absorbed by these jumping wonders.
- Reduces impact on the joints
- Excellent for toning muscles in the lower body
- Considered expensive
- Difficult to get the sizing correct for comfort
- Reduces impact on joints & muscles by up to 80%
- Burn twice the calories in half the time
- Are appropriate for all fitness levels and ages
Weird fitness is more than just a fad, it’s a great way to complement your other workout goals. From core strengthening for running… to aerobics, and weight lifting, there are a lot of options. It may even inspire you to create your own weird fitness product or program.