Runners enjoy the feeling of a great workout, but they also suffer from sore, tight muscles. Sometimes more serious injuries can occur, and precautions should be taken by massaging tight muscles and recovering from workouts. Massage sticks and foam rollers are a great way to help with all those problems. Fortunately, there are many options available for runners.
- 1 Why You Need a Massage Stick or Foam Roller
- 2 Massage Sticks vs. Foam Rollers
- 3 Top 11 Best Massage Sticks and Foam Rollers
- 3.1 The Stick Travel Massage Stick
- 3.2 Tiger Tail Massage Stick – Roadster
- 3.3 IDSON Muscle Roller Stick for Athletes
- 3.4 Supremus Sports Muscle Roller Stick
- 3.5 Elite Muscle Roller Stick
- 3.6 AmazonBasics High-Density Round Foam Roller
- 3.7 LuxFit Foam Roller
- 3.8 TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller
- 3.9 Nordic Lifting Foam Roller
- 3.10 RumbleRoller
- 3.11 ProSource High-Density Extra Firm Foam Roller
- 4 Conclusion
Why You Need a Massage Stick or Foam Roller
A massage stick and a foam roller are both self-massage tools that can help prevent many common running injuries such as muscle pain or strain, stress, spasms, tension and cramping, trigger points, and muscle fatigue. Other injuries runners tend to get are shin splints, and plantar fasciitis, all issues that could be prevented by a massage tool. A massage stick or foam roller can also increase the range of motion and flexibility and promote running recovery. A massage stick may also be called a running stick, as they are commonly used by runners.
It works well for both experienced and non-experienced athletes. For runners, this form of self-massage helps with running recovery. You should not use a massage stick or foam roller on bones, joints, or your lower back because it could cause bruising, muscle spasms, or other problems. If you need something to help with those areas use a hot or cold compress on those areas instead.
Before purchasing one of these massage tools, you need to think about what parts of the body you will want it for. You also need to consider if you intend to travel with it and how much pressure you are looking to get from it. All these decisions will determine if you should purchase a massage stick or a foam roller, as they have different benefits and options.
Massage Sticks vs. Foam Rollers
Massage Sticks and Foam Rollers both aid in recovery, but approach this via different capabilities.
A massage stick is smaller than a foam roller and is shaped kind of like a rolling pin. It is made up of a bar with one-inch rollers attached. The rollers help it move smoothly over the body. This massage stick also bends a little, so it conforms to the body. You must use your hands to push the stick into your muscle and is good for rolling across the muscle for a general muscle massage. A massage stick works well on smaller areas like the neck and upper back, but it usually used on the leg muscles. It comes in different lengths and is small enough that it’s convenient for traveling.
A massage stick will easily fit in your gym or travel bag and the size makes it possible to use it while sitting down in a car or other cramped space. You can use the massage stick when you are standing, kneeling, sitting, or laying down or you can also have someone else use it on you, which is not possible with a foam roller. A massage stick will usually hold up for a long period of time, while a foam roller may break down more quickly.
The foam roller is generally bigger than a massage stick, but they do come in different sizes. They come with different textures on the outside, or you can get one that is smooth on the surface. The ones with knobs or ridges on the outside offer more pressure than the smooth ones and can target more trigger areas. You can choose if you want firm or soft, depending on how much pressure you need. A foam roller can also be chosen based on the size, which just depends on personal preference and if you want to massage your entire back at one time.
A foam roller requires you to use your body weight for pressure on the muscles, with the foam roller on the floor. It is good to use on specific trigger points because it gives more pressure than a massage stick. The foam roller works well on the hips, shoulders, and other large areas of the body. It is preferred when a full body massage is needed with more pressure. You can choose your foam roller from different firmness’s and it will be convenient for use at home or at the gym since it isn’t as easy to travel with as a massage stick.
Top 11 Best Massage Sticks and Foam Rollers
With the above things in mind, here are 11 of the best massage sticks and foam rollers, listed in no particular order:
The Stick Travel Massage Stick
The Stick Travel Massage Stick is 17 inches long and very lightweight. It is mostly used for legs, so it may speed up muscle recovery, but it can also relieve the muscles in your neck and back. This massage stick has eight spindles on it to target all the muscle groups and it is flexible, so it may contour to your body. The only downfall is that it probably won’t do much to relieve the larger muscles.
- Innovative: The stick is a device which performs a therapeutic procedure activating trigger points
- Promotes flexibility: The stick helps relieve muscle pain, increases range of motion & flexibility
- Beneficial: Therapeutic travel stick can provide myofascial release to alleviate the problem areas
|Portable||Not ideal for large muscles|
|Has eight spindles|
Tiger Tail Massage Stick – Roadster
This massage stick comes in three different sizes. It is lightweight, so you can take it with you anywhere. The Tiger Tail Massage Stick gives a deep massage and helps get blood and oxygen circulating through knots in the muscles to offer relief and recovery from cramps and spasms, pain, and stiffness. Recommended by physical therapists and chiropractors, The Tiger Tail Massage Stick is used by many athletes. This massage stick can be washed with spray, cleaning wipes, or just soap and water, so it is easy to clean up. The downfalls are that it doesn’t bend so it is not possible for the massage stick to contour to your body and the price is a little high compared to other roller sticks that are similar.
- Relieve pain and sore muscles fast. The Tiger Tail foam roller helps warm up muscles before exercise. Helps with dynamic stretching and lengthening muscles to help improve flexibility. Helps prevent muscles knots. Helps speed recovery and post workout tightness. Muscle rolling after exercise helps prevent aches, soreness and discomfort and helps minimize the effects of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).
- Superior, smooth, sturdy roll makes a difference. The original Tiger Tail portable foam roller features a uniform, single massage surface. This tool is firm enough to help you really "dig in" to your muscles but is cushioned enough to work even the super tender muscle knots causing shin splints. No hard cold plastic, metal or wood. No spindles, balls, beads or gaps. No pinched skin.
- Easy to clean. Simply use a damp cloth or anti-bacterial cloth and wipe down the surfaces.
|Different size options||Doesn’t bend|
|Easy to clean|
IDSON Muscle Roller Stick for Athletes
This massage stick is only 17.5 inches long, so you can take it with you when you are traveling. It helps with painful muscles after a run and speeds up the recovery. with nine spindles, it should target different muscle groups at the same time. Unfortunately, there is no texture on the spindles, so it doesn’t add much to the massage. There is also no bend to the massage stick, so it doesn’t contour to the body.
- MUSCLE ROLLER STICK to ease and condition muscle soreness and aid recovery, reduce stiffness and pain before and after workouts, exercise, running and training. With regular use improve your strength, circulation and reduce risk of injury.
- GREAT DESIGN - Made from high quality industrial strength materials and built to last a lifetime, with thermoplastic rubber and polypropylene handles for an ergonomic grip and 9 ABS independent rollers on steel rod core.
- VERY PORTABLE - Only 17.5x1.5 inches(44cm/2.5=17.5inch) and 9 oz this is the ideal travel stick to take to the gym, before and after training, workouts and sports fields, fits into most kit bags easily, robust and water resistant.
|Portable||No texture on spindles|
|Has nine spindles||Doesn’t bend|
Supremus Sports Muscle Roller Stick
This roller stick is 18 inches long and helps ease the pain in your muscles after a workout. It can be used before a workout to increase circulation before you even start, which prevents injuries from happening. The roller balls on this massage stick were designed to be far enough apart that your body hair won’t get caught in it. Some of the negative aspects of this roller stick are that it squeaks when you roll it and the roller balls are made from plastic and not covered in foam.
- This Self Myofascial Release bar is good for your whole body: from foot, leg, thigh. calf, quad, IT bands, hamstring, glute, hip to arm, shoulder, neck, head and back. It Restores and rehabilitates sore, tight muscles, releases tension, gets Rid of Knots, increases blood circulation and improves mobility and flexibility.
- These portable tools are recommended by physical & massage therapists, chiropractor and personnel trainers and used by thousands people from professional athletes to average people, men, women and kids, before and after workouts and physical exercise, to prevent injury and release lactic acid buildup for fast recovery. It's a best birthday, Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday gift for your love ones
- Our deep tissue muscle roller is built to last. The stick is sturdy; the handler is comfortable and non slipping; the rollers roll smoothly; the 2mm gap between each roller prevent your hair being pulled
|Roller balls spaced apart||No size options|
|Length is long enough to target large muscles||Squeaks when rolled|
|Portable||Rollerballs not covered in foam|
Elite Muscle Roller Stick
The Elite Muscle roller stick offers quick relief from tense, sore muscles using as much pressure as you decide. This model has handles that are designed to make sure your hands don’t slip while you’re using it. There is a 2mm gap between each rollerball so that your body hair will not be pulled. One benefit you get with this roller stick is that the company provides a website with videos on how to use it after purchase. The downfalls of the Elite Muscle roller stick are that the plastic rollers don’t have foam covering them and this roller stick doesn’t bend.
- OUR CALF ROLLER TARGETS SORE, TIGHT MUSCLES AND PREVENTS CRAMPS, with the massage roller stick, you can target any tight and sore muscles fast. if you roll out the targeted area for about 5 minutes, you will notice a very quick release in tension and an increase in blood circulation to the area, helping to reduce your calf, quad, IT bands or hamstring cramps tremendously. for anyone with muscle soreness, the stick is a gift from the gods
- OUR MASSAGING STICK ALLOWS YOU TO APPLY AS MUCH PRESSURE, OR AS LITTLE AS YOU CAN HANDLE, the muscle roller stick will help with lengthening and stretching out your muscles by applying pressure to the problem area. because its a stiff leg massage roller, you can control the pressure and therefore the pain, depending on your pain tolerance. you will definitely notice a surprising decrease in muscle fatigue by using it regularly before and after exercise
- OUR QUAD ROLLER IS COMFORTABLE, STURDY, AND SMOOTH ROLLING ACTION, the massage roller stick handles are very comfortable, and you won't find your hands slipping like with some of the cheaper models. our roller stick also has a smooth rolling action due to the 2mm gap between each roller, preventing your hair being pulled on your legs. the elite myofascial release tool will keep your muscles from knotting up and helps to keep the muscle soreness at a minimum.
|Non-slip handles||No foam on plastic rollers|
|Gap between rollerballs||Doesn’t bend|
|Instructional videos provided|
AmazonBasics High-Density Round Foam Roller
This foam roller comes in five different sizes and two different colors. The different sizes are a plus because you have the option to choose a smaller one that will be easy to travel with or a larger one to keep at home. The AmazonBasics High-Density Round Foam Roller has a bit of a bumpy texture and is very firm. It helps to loosen muscles before a workout and then helps relieve sore muscles after a workout. Using it regularly before and after a workout can help prevent injuries from running. This foam roller also helps improve range of motion and flexibility. The downfalls are that it does not come with a warranty and there is also no instruction manual.
- High-density blue speckled foam roller with molded edges: Extra firm - best for intermediate and above. High density expanded polypropylene (EPP) that is designed for deeper massage than standard foam roller
- Ideal for balance, strengthening, flexibility, and rehab exercises
- Made from molded polypropylene to maintain firmness
|Different size options||No warranty|
|Multiple color options||No instruction manual|
LuxFit Foam Roller
This foam roller is available in four sizes and three different colors. It helps prevent injury after running and soothes sore muscles. The LuxFit Foam Roller is smooth on the surface, extra firm, won’t lose its shape, and it’s waterproof. A perk of this foam roller is that it comes with a free instructional video. The only con is that you can’t choose a different density. This one is extra firm and you don’t have the option to choose something softer if you are a beginner.
- Foam Rollers For Muscles - LuxFit High Density Foam Roller is great for Physical Therapy, before or after Exercise, Yoga, and Massage Therapy. Foam Muscle Rollers helps to relieve Muscles Tension and increase Muscle Reflexology. Form Roller. Body Roller
- Foam Exercise Roller Helps Prevent Muscle Injury - Perfect for positioning, balance, postural and muscle re-education, spinal stabilization, body awareness and coordination, ranging and strengthening activities. Yoga - Fitness Foam Roller. Foam Roller for IT Band
- Extra Firm Gym Foam Roller - Molded polypropylene foam technology has a 2 lbs. per cubic foot density, Smooth surface, Will not lose its shape after heavy use, and Repels Liquids. Trigger Point Foam Roller. Stretching Foam Roler
|Multiple size and color options||Cannot choose different density|
|Free instructional video with purchase|
TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller
There are five different sizes and colors of the TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller. It provides relief to sore muscles after running and helps prevent injuries. This foam roller is different from other ones because it has a hollow core. The TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller has ridges on the surface which help work out tight muscles. A positive aspect of this foam roller is the many different sizes it comes in. You can choose between 4, 13, 18, 26, or 36 inches in length. The smaller options would be great for traveling. Another pro is that, with the purchase of a TriggerPoint Grid Foam Roller, you get to access an online instructional video library that has videos about the best ways to use the foam roller. One negative of this roller, however, is that the price is higher than other similar rollers.
- Patented foam roller design offers a superior, multi density exterior constructed over a rigid, hollow core
- Constructed from quality materials that won't break down or lose shape from repeated use
- Includes access to free online instructional video library on foam rolling best practices from the experts at TriggerPoint
|Different color and size options||High price|
|Has a hollow core with ridges on the surface|
|Online instructional video library with purchase|
Nordic Lifting Foam Roller
This foam roller is 13 inches long and comes in several different colors. It helps relieve muscle tension after running by massaging and stretching the muscles and can help prevent injuries. The textured surface targets trigger areas. Some of the pros of the Nordic Lifting Foam Roller are that it comes with a bag to carry it in and the foam roller does not have inner piping, so it is not likely to break very easily. It can hold up to 500 pounds. The only con is that the price is higher than more typical models.
- 12.75 inches x 5.25 inch diameter , lightweight yet rugged solid core EVA massage roller with triple grid 3D massage zones mimics the finger , palm , and thumb of a therapist's hands . Travel friendly at just 1 lb .
- Medium density muscle roller is comfortable to use - making it easy for beginners , but still effective at penetrating the soft tissue layer of tired muscles . Soft enough to use while in pain from lower back injury , sciatica or plantar fasciitis .
- One of the best recovery tools to treat muscle pain , increase performance and flexibility. Rolling before and after exercise sis part of a great stretching routine . Increases blood flow to massage site , flushing away stored lactic acid .
|Different color options||High price|
|Comes with a carrying bag|
|No inner piping and textured surface|
|Holds up to 500 pounds|
The Rumble Roller comes in three sizes and you can choose between the original and extra firm, with the original option being softer and good for beginners or for those who want to massage soft tissue. You should choose the extra firm option if you are wanting to massage thick muscles such as glutes, hamstrings, or hips. The extra firm option is also good for anyone with dense muscles. This foam roller has firm nodules that are flexible enough to contour to specific areas of the body, relieving muscle pain caused by running. The RumbleRoller is waterproof. The only downfall is the price, which is higher than many others.
- THE FOAM ROLLER THAT FEELS LIKE MASSAGE THERAPY: You'll move better than you ever thought possible - with a more lively spring in your step and plenty of stretch in your muscles - after using the RumbleRoller! Owning a RumbleRoller is like having your very own massage therapist, on call 24-7. It's an innovative muscle roller that massages more deeply than any other foam roller - to help you build flexibility, mobility, and strength.
- PATENTED DESIGN = OPTIMAL MUSCLE HEALTH AND FLEXIBILITY: The RumbleRoller is unique among foam rollers with its sturdy, textured pattern of bumps. These specially-designed nodules are firm but flexible, making them remarkably similar to a massage therapist's thumbs. You'll feel the difference immediately - when used correctly, the RumbleRoller's foam rolling gently stretches sore muscle tissue in multiple directions, eroding trigger points and relieving discomfort.
- THE ANSWER TO MUSCLE PAIN IS HERE! The deep massage of the RumbleRoller not only relieves sore muscles, it digs into connective tissue and fascia to help circulate blood and oxygen for pain relief and faster muscle recovery. You'll not only feel physically stronger and more healthy, but you'll also feel more relaxed and stress-free - there's no other foam rolling experience like it!
|Different size options and density choices||High price|
|Firm, flexible nodules|
ProSource High-Density Extra Firm Foam Roller
This foam roller is great for beginners and advanced runners alike. You can choose from three different sizes. The ProSource High-Density Extra Firm Foam Roller could relieve tight muscles in the back, calves, IT band, hamstrings, lats, and glutes. It is high density, so this foam roller may massage deeper than other rollers. Cleaning the ProSource foam roller is easy. Just spray it and wipe it down. The only negative is that it’s bulky, so it would be harder to carry.
- BODY AWARENESS - This versatile fitness tool offers instability for Pilates core exercises, rehab exercises, spine stabilization, and body-awareness
- REDUCES SORENESS - Eases tightness in muscles after training for faster recovery and reduced soreness - a great addition to workout programs for beginners and advanced users
- LOW-MAINTENANCE - Made out of non-toxic, high-density expanded polypropylene (EPP) that is easy to clean; 36-inch by 6-inch size is suitable for anyone; smaller sizes are easy to store and great for travel
|Different size options|
Runners tend to get tight muscles after a workout which leads to pain, sore muscles, and injuries. A Massage stick or foam roller may relieve runners of these problems using self-massage, which can increase blood flow to the muscles, improving circulation, and speeding up running recovery. These massage tools are highly rated and effective in targeting the main muscle groups that runners need to have massaged.