In your day to day lives, you hear how our water are considerable becoming more contaminated, as our consumption increases. Yet we need clean water to function at our best. We push our bodies to their fullest potential through physical activity, our careers, and pursuing our wildest aspirations.
Or you are a health-conscious individual that started to notice that your water is different. The water is not as clear as before, and testing the water finds that there are unwanted particles in it. You can buy a filtered bottle water, but let’s admit, this is a costly expense. Therefore, you will have to repeatedly buy, and more plastic will be produced and end up in the waters we drink from.
So where can you get purified water without causing more damage to your health and the environment? An excellent solution available is a countertop water filter. You might already know this, and thus have been overwhelmed by the immense number of options available.
This guide will help you choose a countertop water filter for your home so you can change your life for the better.
- 1 Why You Need a Countertop Water Filter
- 2 Countertop Water Filters vs. Faucet Mount Water Filters
- 3 Best Countertop Water Filters
- 4 The Top 11 Countertop Water Filters
- 4.1 APEC Portable Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
- 4.2 Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2 Countertop Water Filtration System
- 4.3 New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter
- 4.4 CleanWater4Less® Countertop Water Filtration System
- 4.5 Aquasana Countertop Drinking Water Filter System
- 4.6 KOR Waterfall I Reusable Countertop Water Filtration System
- 4.7 Big Berkey BK4X2 Countertop Water Filter System
- 4.8 Ecosoft Countertop Drinking Water Filter System for Faucet Mount
- 4.9 APEX EXPRT MR-2050 Quality Dual Countertop Water Filter
- 4.10 iSpring CKC1C Countertop Drinking Water Filtration System
- 4.11 Brondell H630 H2O+ Cypress Countertop Water Filter System
- 5 The Final Verdict
Why You Need a Countertop Water Filter
Dangers of Unpurified Water
Utilizing water filters will help eliminate impurities from your tap water. Additionally, some of these water filters also can stimulate weight loss and help boost your immune system. The filter removes the contaminants and alkalizes the water, creating an invigorating drinking experience to revitalize your body’s cells.
Unpurified water can have harmful metals, such as lead, which can lead to future medical problems, such as intestinal problems, dehydration, and even death. The water can be further contaminated by the following:
- E. coli
- fecal matter
Minerals are common in hard water, and can lead to a copper or other metal taste that is unpleasant to the drinker.
Benefits of Purified Water
Water that has went through the purification process means you will miss out on absorbing the impurities in regular tap water. In different areas, the levels of what might be labeled as contaminants vary. However, we can come to an agreement that we do not want unnecessary chemicals in our water that provides no added benefit. The filters remove heavy metals, chemicals, and other contaminants in ground and tap water.
Some purification systems do this task better than others. A water filter system, like charcoal filters, are able to remove chlorine from the water, which is added to the public water as a disinfectant to remove bacteria. Removing chlorine from the water might interest you, as chlorine has been linked to an increased risk of cancer, such as colorectal cancer. These filters produce a clean tasting water that can be enjoyed at any time right from your very home.
Countertop Water Filters vs. Faucet Mount Water Filters
Countertop water filters are models that have an adapter with a tube on one end that is attached to a kitchen faucet. The aerator on the faucet is replaced by the tube. The model is positioned to sit next to the sink on the counter.
You then position the unit so the water outflow pours into the sink. Operate the sink like normal, turning the water on and off by using the original sink handle. You are able to switch back and forth from using the water filter to the sink faucet by a diverter incorporated in the water filter.
So, if you do not want to use filtered water when you are cleaning the kitchen, it is possible to do so. As a caution, do not use extreme hot water with the counter top water filter, as this will damage the water filter.
Advantages of Using Countertop Water Filters
When you switch counter top filter in your kitchen, you will notice how it is very convenient to use. There is nothing to refill or replace after many uses. The initial setup is very easy to do and the future maintenance is not a hassle as well. The only maintenance is to change the filter out here and there, depending on the brand of water filter you buy.
The filter units also do not take up a lot of space on the counter. These water filters can be bought at a decent price and still be very effective for you. If you have a vacation home and do not want to buy another filter, you can unscrew the counter top water filter and take it with you.
Disadvantages of Using Countertop Water Filters
There are a few inconveniences with using these filters that some user has noted, so will be added here so you can make the right decision. Understand that these type of water filters can only be used with a standard kitchen faucet, so the fancy faucets users are out of luck with these units.
The tubing can also be awkward, especially if you place the unit in a compromising position on the counter. This will not affect the use of the filter unless the tube is physically knotted.
Small units like these can also eliminate only so many contaminants. They do not produce the dame quality as full house system water filters, but they do get the job done if water that is effectively purified is your desire.
How do Faucet Mount Filters Compare?
For cheap home filters, people usually look towards faucet mount water filters. They attach directly to the faucet, which can lead to problems like increased pressure, cracks, and leaks in the filter. These filters need to be replaced more frequently than countertop water filters. Countertop water filters are more sturdier and cost effective in the long run than faucet mount filters.
Best Countertop Water Filters
When looking to buy a counter top water filter, there are a few things you should consider before deciding to buy one. You should ask yourself these questions:
What Contaminants are Removed By This Particular Unit and By How Much?
Water filter all have different fulfillments, so it is best to read what each unit offers, as you might want something that does eliminate chlorine. You will also want to look for a counter top filter that is able to reduce at least 90% of the contaminants that concern you the most.
How Long Will the Unit Last?
Countertop filters are units that need to have their filters replaced. Some need to be changed more frequently than others depending on how many contaminants they are able to remove. The average life of most filters are a few months up to a year, and this also depends on usage and quality of the tap water. Filter life will determine how much you will be putting into the filter system.
How Easy is it to Replace the Filter?
Consider if the brand is well known and the filters can be bought easily in store or on-line.
Does it Come with a Warranty?
A warranty of a least 6 months will ensure that you are getting a quality product.
Is it using Reverse Osmosis?
While Reverse Osmosis is an awesome purification feature, you need to be careful to replace minerals lost by the RO process.
The Top 11 Countertop Water Filters
Now you know the importance of countertop water filters. Here are the top 11 best countertop water filters for your consideration, in no particular order.
This filter system will be different from the rest, as it is a reverse osmosis system, an extensive method to purify the water. It does sit next to the sink on the counter. If you are looking for an extremely effective method to eliminate contaminants from your tap water, this is the way to go.
- Hooks up to most STANDARD FAUCET in minutes. Just plug and drink! Lightweight, installation-free system. It’s NOT compatible with pull-out faucets, special size designer faucets and sprayer faucets.
- Top rated brand, high performance reverse osmosis drinking water systems.
- Highest grade 4-Stage ultra-pure system provides refreshing crisp taste superior to bottled water
|Removes up to 99% of contaminants||Will remove healthy minerals from the water|
|Filters only need to be replaced every 6 to 8 months for stage 1 and 2 filters||A final product of the filtration process is wasted water|
|Stage 3 and 4 filters can last up to 2 to 3 years||This unit is quite expensive|
This filtration system creates highly pure water and its space saving design means you are still able to utilize your counter.
- Highly pure water - three-stage filter removes up to 93 percent of fluoride, chlorine, and other chemicals
- Efficient, space-saving design - compact design takes up minimal space and easily fits on any sinktop
- Simple and easy installation takes only minutes
|Simple and easy installation||Fluoride filter can only work for 3 months before needing to be replaced|
|Reduces up to 93% of contaminants||Does not reduce micro-organism like E. coli|
|3 year warranty|
You are able to enjoy filtered water that has undergone a 10 stage purification process. The unit is able to eliminate bacteria, lead, and chlorine from tap water.
- DRINK SAFE WATER: Enjoy fresh filtered water with the 10 Stage water filtration system that removes a significant amount of common water contaminants and bacteria found in tap water, including chlorine and lead, to help keep your water safe and clean.
- ELIMINATES CONTAINMENTS: 10 Stage works to eliminate harmful contaminants such as chlorine, trihalomethanes, organic and inorganic arsenic, mercury, lead, pesticides, and herbicides, which contribute to illnesses.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE: By using a kitchen water filter at home, you can save money on water bottles and you can help eliminate the amount of plastic water bottles being used.
|Eliminates the harmful contaminants, like trihalomethanes, arsenic,mercury, pesticides, and herbicides||Does not reduce fluoride|
|Easy installment||Company has not given any available data on how much of the contaminants are reduced|
|Not expensive, with a 1 year warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee||Unresponsive customer support|
Filter last for 1500 gallons or 1 year of use
A very popular water filtration system, this unit is very cost-effective and will remove most of the contaminants in your tap water.
- No Replacement Filters! Saves Money! Easy to install and comes with instructions and pre-filter included!
- Granulated Activated Carbon - 97% Chlorine reduction, effectively filters sediment, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), taste and odor from water.
- Stylish diverter valve attaches right to most standard faucets, NO TOOLS NECESSARY!
|Can filter contaminants in 10,000 gallons of water before the filter needs to be replaced||No filter change warning light|
|Easy installation instructions and not expensive||Does not filter fluoride|
|Eliminates bacteria, harmful chemicals, and dangerous minerals|
This unit is a very budget-friendly solution and is very efficient.
- Removes over 97% of chlorine and reduces 76 other contaminants - NSF certified to remove lead, pharmaceuticals and more
- No waste water or harmful contaminants added to your drinking water during the filtration process
- Retains the healthy minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium for the healthiest water
|Removes up to 97% of the contaminants in the water||Slow in filtering the water|
|Removes chlorine, lead, pharmaceuticals, bad tastes and smells|
|Does not need any permanent fixtures and suitable for travel|
|Retains the healthy minerals in the water|
The water fall uses the power of coconut shells to purify and filter the water, producing a great tasting drink.
- ECO-FRIENDLY AND GORGEOUS WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM: Purifies your tap water and looks good doing it. Set includes Water Fall stand, (1) filter and (2) glass carafes with lids.
- ALL-NATURAL, COCONUT FILTER: Uses coconut shells to create irresistible H2O. Filter lasts up to 80 gallons (about 4 months), twice as long as most filtered pitchers. Filter tested and certified to NSF 42 standard to remove chlorine, chloramines, bad taste and odors found in tap water
- MUCH MORE THAN A FILTERED WATER PITCHER: On top of creating refreshing clean water, it is a conversation piece making it the perfect co-host for any dinner party.
|Filter lasts for 80 gallons or 4 months||Slow filtration|
|Removes bad tastes and smells. chlorine, and chloramines|
|Beautiful design to fit any kitchen|
|Can create multiple carafes of water to fit your desires|
This popular model will absorb most contaminants in the tap water. The filters also have a long lifespan of 3,000 gallons.
|Comes in various sizes to fit many different sizes of counters||Expensive|
|Removes fluoride (but has to be replaced after 1,000 gallons)||Poor instructions|
This is a high quality filtration system with a European design.
- JOIN CELEBRITY HEALTH ROUTINE! Clear water, produced by this filter, is praised by stars like Beyoncé, because it is believed to have numerous health benefits like weight loss and clear skin, etc.
- KITCHEN STYLE LEVEL UP! The beautiful water filter comes in the vivid design and fashionable color scheme. You are gorgeous, and so is your kitchen!
- NO BOTTLES, NO BPA! Some water containers and water pitchers are made using BPA. The plastic used in our water filter is 100% safe and BPA free, so rest easy knowing you get safe water while also reducing plastic use.
|Removes chlorine, chloramines, rust, lead, bad taste and odor, and sediment particles in tap water||Poor installation instructions|
|A filter lasts up to 1,500 gallons or 6 months|
If you want something a bit more powerful in removing the contaminants but still saves space on the counter, then this model could be the right choice for you.
- REDUCES HARMFUL CONTAMINANTS IN TAP WATER: Removes 99% of substances commonly found in sink tap water like chlorine which contribute to bad odors in your water, chloramine, benzene, radon, and heavy metals. It also helps prevent the buildup microorganisms. This filter will also add Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium raising the alkalinity of your water. NOTE: ALKALINE WATER WILL RAISES TDS LEVELS DUE TO THE MINERALS ADDED IN WATER.
- CONNECTS TO DOMESTIC FAUCET MODELS: APEX countertop filters have been designed to conveniently sit right on the kitchen counter top next to sinks. It is simple to install, and connects easily to most standard household kitchen faucets. All the necessary hardware is included for easy do-it-yourself installation. NOTE: PLEASE MAKE SURE ONE OF THE ADAPTERS WILL FIT YOUR FAUCET OR ELSE THE UNIT WILL BE NON-FUNCTIONAL.
- COST-EFFECTIVE WATER FILTER: By using an APEX counter top alkaline water filter, you can stop wasting money on small disposable bottles of water that just get thrown away when empty. Buying bottled water for daily home consumption gets expensive and tedious. You don’t have to lug heavy water jugs or cases to your house to enjoy fresh clean drinking water. APEX water filters are the solution.
|Removes 99% of substances found in tap water||Not cost effective|
|Absorbs chlorines, chloramines, benzene, radon, heavy metals, and microorganisms|
|Connects to most kitchen faucets with easy installation|
|Increases the alkalinity of the water by adding potassium, magnesium, and calcium back into the water|
This interesting filtering system allows you to see the process at work.
- CLEAR HOUSING - See-through housing allows you to visually inspect the filter and know when it's time for a filter change
- ULTRA SAFE - Includes a standard 5 micron Carbon Block Cartridge that removes 95% of chlorine, odors, sand, silt, sediment and rust from your drinking water. Highly effective on volatile organic compounds (VOCs) like pesticides, herbicides, and industrial chemicals. Tested by independent third-party to meet NSF/ANSI Standards.
- EASY INSTALLATION - No drilling required. Portable and easy to install. Sleek and efficient design offers a natural look on any counter. Perfect for small spaces.
|Removes 95% of contaminants||Needs an adapter for some faucets|
|Absorbs chlorine, odors, sand, silt, sediment, rust, volatile organic compounds (pesticides and herbicides)||Does not lower PPM on TDS meter|
|Easy installation with 1 year warranty|
A very powerful filtration system to bring tasty and pure water into your home.
- POWERFUL FILTRATION: three-stage patented Nanotrap technology delivers high quality filtration usually found only in more complex under-counter systems
- CONVENIENT FAUCET ATTACHMENT: easily attaches to your faucet without compromising power of filtration, fits most faucets with provided adapters
- INSPIRED DESIGN: elegant and slim profile countertop design with ergonomic push-button control for dispensing water
|Has a convenient faucet attachment||Filter does not remove calcium|
|Water dispensed quickly like reverse osmosis systems without the hassle|
|Filters industrial chemicals, chlorine, particulates, and volatile organic compounds|
The Final Verdict
All of the counter top water filters are worth it, and depending on how much you want to spend or how much you want to filter your water, there is one here to fit your desire. A healthy body starts by drinking a filtered glass of water. The filters do an incredible job of removing contaminants out of tap water, creating a better drinking experience, causing you to want to drink more water. Staying hydration will revitalize your body and improve your body’s immune system. Consider investing in a countertop water filter system today.