Going to college is one of the most exciting journeys a person will start in their life. There is so much to eagerly anticipate. New friends, new classes, and a first dorm room probably top the list. Along with that joyful anticipation, however, comes a degree of uncertainty. Will you like your professors? Do you like your new campus? Will your water be safe in the dorm?
When it comes to starting at your new college, that last question might be the furthest one from your mind at first. Nevertheless, clean, safe drinking water cannot be stressed enough. This is where water filters and pitchers for college dorms come in. When choosing a water filter for your college dorm, you want to be as informed as possible. A good water filtration system is something you’ll most likely use for years and years to come.
- 1 Dangers of Unfiltered Water
- 2 Choosing a Water Filtration System for Your Dorm Room
- 3 Best Water Filtration Systems for Dorm Rooms
- 3.1 AQUABLUE Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 3.2 Brita Small 5 Cup Pitcher
- 3.3 Brita® 10-Cup Stream Pitcher
- 3.4 Clear Genius Water Filtration System FWP-1
- 3.5 Cool Gear Filtration Plus Infuser Pitcher
- 3.6 iSpring CT10 Countertop Multi Filtration Drinking Dispenser
- 3.7 LEVOIT Water Filter Pitcher, Purifier with Large 10 Cup
- 3.8 MAVEA Elemaris Kompact Filter Pitcher
- 3.9 PUR CR-4000 5 Cup Filter Pitcher
- 3.10 Soma Water 103-10-01 6 Cup Water Filter
- 3.11 ZeroWater 6-Cup Filter Pitcher
- 4 Conclusion
Dangers of Unfiltered Water
Unfiltered water might not be on the top of your biggest concerns list as you head to college. Even still, it is incredibly important to ensure that the water you hydrate with throughout the day is of the highest quality possible. Unfiltered water can lead to a slew of problems, from headaches to parasites, both of which are the last problems you want to come across while preparing for midterms.
Water that has been contaminated can have a wide range of effects on the body, all of which are less than pleasant. Asbestos, for example, used to be a common material in water pipes, and as a result, it often finds its way into the potable water supply. This particular contaminant can lead to cancer if not filtered out. Likewise, lead is a chemical that can lead to high blood pressure and even hearing difficulties when imbibed by adults.
The Risks of BPA
Then, of course, there are the issues with water that has been filtered improperly. You have no doubt heard of the dangers associated with BPA, but what is BPA exactly? How does it affect the water you drink? Bisphenol A is a chemical that is used to harden and solidify plastics. It was approved as safe from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration up until 2010. That year, studies conducted on animals revealed that BPA could have negative impacts on the brain, cardiovascular system, and prostate of human beings.
Because it is still under investigation, BPA is not actually outlawed in the United States. Therefore, it is important to be aware that many plastic water bottles can still contain the harmful chemical compound. In turn, BPA can contaminate your water supply and putting you at risk for harmful diseases in the future.
Choosing a Water Filtration System for Your Dorm Room
Having filtered water in your dorm room is crucial for establishing and maintaining well-being. The human body is predominantly water. In order to avoid dehydration, the average person needs to drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water a day, unless doctors have ordered otherwise. Students tend to do a lot of walking to and from classes, activities, clubs, and sports, so that number of ounces is often a lot higher for those individuals attending university.
Remember, however, that not all water is treated equally. Likewise, not all water filtration systems will meet the needs of college students. When space is an issue, for example, a large, 100-gallon water filtration cooler won’t be ideal. On the other hand, a student athlete who imbibes up to 150 ounces a day will probably be less than thrilled with a pitcher that only filters five cups of water at a time. Depending on your unique needs, there are two main filters to choose from, since most college dorms won’t allow the instillation of an entire water filtration system.
This is the most common form of filtration system found in a college dorm. Due to its size, it makes an excellent choice for university students who have minimal space both in their refrigerator and their dorm room in general. These filters tend to hold anywhere from five to one hundred cups of water at a time. They also filter contaminates and minerals that alter the smell and taste of water. These filters are an affordable option for a student’s budget and are very long lasting.
They are also easy to understand. Water carafes are typically separated into two parts: the top where the water is treated with activated carbon and the bottom where the purified water is separated from the unfiltered water. Water jugs are not as convenient as faucet filtration systems. They can take up to thirty minutes to filter the water poured into the top filter, but they are suitable for dorms where a faucet is not accessible.
Faucet filtration systems are more intensive in their purification process than a counter top water container. These filters attach directly to a sink and provide the convenience of clarified water at the flip of a switch. They are easy to use and eliminate the need to constantly refill a water pitcher, as the water that comes out is always filtered. Also relatively inexpensive, a faucet filter is a great option for students who have regular access to a sink.
Best Water Filtration Systems for Dorm Rooms
Listed in no particular order are the top 11 best water filtration systems for dorm rooms:
This water-pitcher filters the dangerous toxins out of the water while enhancing the water so that it is at the perfect PH balance. It has a 7-stage filter cartridge that creates crisp, refreshing alkaline water through the use of ion exchange resin, tourmaline, mineral balls and activated carbon. It is sleek in size, making it perfect for a dorm fridge. Even still, it can contain up to 15 cups of water. It’s only con is that some people are not too keen about drinking water that is alkaline simply due to taste bud preferences.
- ALKALINE WATER PITCHER - contains minimal free radicals and toxins, is a powerful antioxidant and enhances your energy levels and immune system. Not only does it have great health benefits,Alkaline water has a fresh and delicious natural taste!
- 7 STAGE FILTER CARTRIDGE: This great Alkaline water pitcher produces clean alkaline water by filtering it through a 7-stage filter made of ion exchange resin, tourmaline, mineral balls and activated carbon.
- FILTER LIFE 300 Liters Comes With 1 Filter
The Brita Small 5 Cup Pitcher is another great choice for students who have mini-fridges in their dorm rooms. It is compact in size yet holds up to five cups of water at a time. The filter lasts up to two months. The electric filter indicator notifies you when it needs to be replaced, so you always have the freshest water possible. It is BPA-free and weighs just under 3 pounds, making it lightweight and perfectly portable.
- BPA free Brita 5 cup metro water pitcher with 1 filter, Reduces chlorine taste and odor, Electronic filter indicator
The Brita 10-Cup Stream Pitcher is unlike most because you do not have to wait for it to filter the water. It literally filters it as it is poured. Like the smaller Brita on this list, it includes an electric filter indicator. In turn, you know the water is always as fresh and clean as possible. In spite of the fact that it can purify up to ten cups at a time. It is still small enough to fit in most dorm fridges, making it a good option for student athletes.
- The only pitcher that filters as you pour: Patented Filter-As-You-Pour technology removes the need for a traditional reservoir, so you don't have to wait at the sink for water to filter
- Cleaner, great-tasting water: Brita stream improves taste and odor by reducing chlorine impurities found in tap water. Only compatible with Brita stream filters. The electronic Indicator lets you know to change it.
- Space efficient design: Brita stream's beautiful, sleek design with a fully locking lid and controlled pour is perfect for families and Fits in the refrigerator door. Keep pitcher full for best results
This filter is outstanding because it can use other brand’s filters in its system. As a result, you don’t have to go out and buy new filters right away. It filters more than just chlorine, as well. The Clear Genius out zinc, copper, mercury, and cadmium, making it one of the more powerful contenders on the list. It holds up to six cups of purified water in its reservoir at a time. This filter can also fit in most standard dorm-sized fridges, though it is bulkier than some of its competitors.
- Keep the Cartridge, Replace the Pod
- Water Pitcher Capacity: 6-cups.
- NO FILTER FALLOUT - filter cartridge will stay in place down to the last drop. Substantial NSF approved O-Ring forms high quality seal, eliminates "filter fallout", and prevents leaking. No pre-soaking is required for the Filter Pod refill.
This pitcher is perfect for college students who want an alternative to on campus water. The Cool Gear Filtration Plus Infuser Pitcher uses a two-stage filtering process that uses natural carbon from coconut shells, making it stand out from the other options on this list. In addition to including a filter at the top of the pitcher, it also has an infusion tube built in. Students can imbibe on water that is not only clean but flavored with their favorite fresh fruits. It comes in three fun colors and holds just over ten cups of water at a time. It is on the larger side, design-wise, but it can still fit in most dorm fridges and all full-sized fridges.
- 82.51oz Pitcher Includes 1 filter & 1 infuser tube
- Filtered & flavored water at your fingertips
- 2 stage filter made with natural carbon from coconut shells
This sink filtration system is great for dorm rooms that have on-suite bathrooms or bathrooms that are shared among suitemates only. This filtration system connects directly to the sink tap and provides multi-stage filtration. It reduces contaminants such as lead, chlorine, and sediments. The filter is slim enough to fit on a kitchen or bathroom counter, making it a good choice for university students. It comes in an array of colors, and its only con is that it requires access to a water tap.
- Produces great tasting drinking water right from your kitchen tap
- Multi-Stage Filtration cartridge offers the same benefits as larger systems. Effectively reduces chlorine, lead, arsenic, heavy metals, sediment, VOCs and more
- No hassle faucet adapter makes installation and removal a breeze
This filter is another strong choice for students who drink more than the standard sixty-four ounces a day. It has a five-step filtration process that uses silver activated carbon that removes chlorine as well as ion-exchange resin that eliminate metals such as led, while leaving beneficial minerals. It also has lower micro net that removes extra particles that make their way through the filtration system. This pitcher fits in standard dorm fridges and has one of the more intensive filtration systems on the market today.
- 5-LAYER FILTRATION: Remove chlorine, and reduce heavy metal (such as lead, cadmium, mercury, copper, aluminum)，odor, particle, lime scale effectively and change tap water to a better taste water
- FDA/RoHS/LFGB COMPLIANT: Made of food-grade and BPA-Free plastic; meets the food safety and human health requirement, health is ensured
- ELECTRONIC FILTER INDICATOR: The indicator display the remaining life of filter and notifies when water filter needs to be replaced. (Replace after 60 days of use, or after filtering 40-gallon water)
Leaving behind only calcium and silica, for healthy bones and teeth, chlorides that aid digestion, potassium, and magnesium for energy, this filter gets rid of everything else that might be lurking in your on campus water, including agricultural chemicals. It also softens water to improve the overall taste. The filter indicator on the top of the pitcher uses a microcomputer. Signals to replace the filter are based on length of time the filter’s been in use, water consumption and quality. It is very slim in size yet holds up to five cups of water at a time.
- MAVEA: A More Advanced Water Filter
- Easier and more convenient to use features
- Available in an array of sizes and colors to fit every lifestyle.
This water filtration system is perfect for the sustainable student. Each filter is completely recyclable, and because the filter holds up to seven cups of water a time, it greatly reduces the number of water bottles an individual would use over the course of a year. It uses a carbon filter to ensure the cleanest water possible. Additionally, it boasts one of the slimmer designs out of the options on this list.
- The first leading pitcher filter to remove 99.9-Percent of microbial cysts
- Also certified to reduce chlorine (taste and odor) and more
- Filters 40 Gallons/640 8-Ounce Cups per Filter, lasts up to 2 months
The 10. Soma Water 103-10-01 6 Cup Filter has one of the more aesthetically pleasing designs on the list. It has a chic wooden handle and carafe feel to it. Not only is it sleek, though, it is also effective. Available in six-cup and ten-cup options, it has a filter that reduces chlorine, mercury, copper in the drinking water. It is made of BPA-free plastic that looks like glass, and the handle is made with sturdy, sustainable oak. It fits in most dorm fridges but is more suitable for full-size fridges.
- New, improved filter reduces chlorine, mercury, copper and more
- Holds 6 glasses (48oz) of fresh filtered water
- Pitcher made of shatter-proof, BPA-free plastic
The ZeroWater 6-Cup Filter Pitcher is the only pitcher on the market to be certified by the National Science Foundation. It removes p to 99% of lead and other harmful contaminants through its five-stage filtration process. It comes with a water quality meter that tells you when the filter needs to be replaced, ensuring the water you drink while away at school is refreshing and most of all, safe. In spite of its capacity, this filter fits perfectly in mini-fridges.
- 6 CUP WATER FILTERING PITCHER: You'll always have cleaner, pure tasting water on hand with our BPA-Free, water filter pitcher in your fridge. The included, free water quality meter lets you test your water, so you never have to wonder about its quality.
- FIVE STAGE WATER FILTRATION: Unlike many water filters & pitchers, ZeroWater filters use 5 stages of filtration, to bring you cleaner, better tasting water. Instead of carbon filtering only, our filters use Ion Exchange Technology to reduce contaminants.
- NOT AN ORDINARY WATER FILTER: ZeroWater filters filter water in 5 stages, are NSF certified to reduce lead and other heavy metals. Zerowater removes 99.6% of total dissolved solids, 2X more than the leading brand (tested by independent lab).
Going to college says a lot about who you are. For starters, you care about your future. In the same way, choosing the right filtration system indicates an investment in your future – your future wellbeing. So, when it’s time to get ready for college, remember the importance of clean hydration. Be sure that a suitable filter for your drinking water is at the top of your to-buy list. Your well-hydrated body will surely thank you later.