When you travel in a car it is important to have water within reach and a reusable water bottle is a perfect way to go. Depending on your age and lifestyle, daily fluid intake varies. However, 64 ounces a day is a good general rule to follow.
Our bodies depend on water to be healthy, function properly and survive. In fact, 60% of our overall body weight is made up of water. That water needs to be replenished or you could suffer symptoms of dehydration such as unclear thinking, mood swings, dehydration, overheating, and kidney issues.
There are convenient, environmentally-friendly, and cost-effective reusable water bottles to meet this need. The “Top 11 Best Water Bottles for Car Travel” list has been compiled so that you can choose the bottle that fits your lifestyle.
- 1 Why You Need a Specialized Water Bottle for Car Travel
- 2 Types of Water Bottles for Car Travel
- 3 Top 11 Best Water Bottles for Car Travel
- 4 Conclusion
Why You Need a Specialized Water Bottle for Car Travel
There is no shortage of water bottle choices on the market. With a wide range of colors, sizes, and shapes you can have one that suits you perfectly. More importantly, your car water bottle should cater to your lifestyle with its features. Corkcicle is a leading brand of insulated water bottles perfect for car travel.
This may seem like a silly consideration but an ideal bottle size is important. You want something large enough to hold enough water to satiate your thirst but not so huge that you do not want to lug it around.
Insulation is important to keep your beverage at an ideal temperature. Nothing is worse than going in for a sip of nice refreshing water only to find out that your bottle is poorly insulated and in those 10 minutes locked in your car just made water hot enough for a cup of herbal tea.
Water bottles come constructed in a variety of materials, from plastic and glass; to stainless steel. Depending on which suits you, it will have its own set of pros and cons.
This aspect includes and features that to the bottle’s ease of use. Is it easy to carry? Simple to clean? This is where creative minds come together to make a bottle unique and stand out.
Okay, now you have heard this word in relation to drinking bottles but what is it exactly? Is it really important for your bottle to be without BPA? BPA is the shortened version of bisphenol A. It is an industrial chemical used in creating plastics and resins since the 60s.
These plastics are often found in containers that hold food and beverages. The resins are used to coat metal containers that serve the same function. Products free from BPA exist because there is research backing the possibility that the chemical leaches into the food and beverages held in those containers.
This is concerning because of suspected health effects on the brain, fetal development, and blood pressure caused by ingesting the chemical.
Types of Water Bottles for Car Travel
Vacuum Insulated Water Bottles
- Perfect for those long trips away, these bottles will keep your drinking water chilled all day.
- Prefer a hot beverage? Enjoy a five-hour window to enjoy it warm on your trip.
- They have excellent insulation.
- Beautiful finishes are available in many colors.
- Stainless steel is easily cleaned.
- Heavier weight due to the bottle’s construction.
- Scratches and dents can ruin that good looking finish
Glass Water Bottles
- Does not leave you with a metallic taste in your mouth.
- Flavors do not leach into it contaminating the taste of your future beverages.
- Typically comes with a cover that helps protect it from drops
- You can see into it to easily tell how full it is.
- The bottle itself does not insulate very well. The cover does help with this issue a bit.
- You have to deal with condensation being sweated all over your cup holders.
Stainless Steel Water Bottles
- Easily washed and can be sanitized with high-temperature water
- Comes in a wide variety of colors, patterns, and fun graphics
- Not meant for hot beverages as it can burn your hands.
- Some may experience metallic tastes when using it
- Bumps and scratches ruin the appearance
- No insulation- If you leave it in the car or sun, the container will heat up along with the liquid inside
- Some come with a resin coating that may contain BPA
Plastic Water Bottles
- Perfect for a trip to the gym
- Comes in BPA free varieties
- Most convenient- they typically feature flip-top lids or squirt tops
- Environmentally friendly
- Tends to retain scents and flavors even after washing them
- No insulation
- Certain plastics will have issues with condensation that forms on the outside
Collapsible Water Bottles
- Good for limited space
- Lightest option available
- Easily stowed- even on-the-go, it can be folded for storage in your purse or bag
- BPA free options
- Most are made to conveniently sit in your cup holder
- Does not have a very high capacity
- Some have a hard time remaining upright when you set it down.
- Higher possibility of springing a leak
Top 11 Best Water Bottles for Car Travel
There are a lot of choices out there and we review a ton of them. The 11 water bottles in the list that follows are exceptional choices for drinking water and car travel and they are all BPA free. These bottles are reviewed by size, temperature, durability, convenience, and cons.
- Newly produced Hydro Flasks do not feature a registered trademark symbol next to the logo
- Keeps beverages cold up to 24 hours and hot up to 12 hours when using the lid
- BPA-free and phthalate-free; 18/8 food-grade stainless steel
Size – This choice is a good middle-of-the-road size at 21 ounces with a diameter that fits right in your cup holder. Additional sizes are available: 18 and 24 ounces.
Temperature – Hydroflask uses double-walled insulation to help eliminate condensation. There is also honeycomb insulation in the lid. Expect cold drinks to stay cool up to 24 hours and hot beverages to stay hot for up to 6 hours.
Durability – Constructed with 18/8 pro-grade stainless steel which is very durable. Another plus to this feature is that it doesn’t transfer flavors between refills.
Convenience – This company offers different types of caps. There is a sports cap and a standard cap to suit your preference. They have given the bottle a nice powder coat to stop sweat and give you a good grip.
Cons – The sports cap is not leak-proof. The bottle is not intended for hot beverages.
- INNOVATIVE WATER BOTTLE WITH TIME MARKER - Now you can drink the precise amount of water your body needs every day, thanks to innovative timer marker in Cactaki 32 oz water bottle that reminds you when it's time for your next sip!
- BPA & TOXIN FREE MATERIAL - These water bottles are made of leak proof Tritan co-polyester plastic that is 100% BPA and toxin free to ensure that water is clear of harmful chemicals, plastic taste or weird odors!
- FREE INFUSED WATER RECIPES EBOOK - Buy now and receive free ebook of 10 delicious, thirst-quenching infused water recipes for you to enjoy benefits of proper hydration. Ebook will be delivered via Amazon message.
Size – 32-ounce capacity- perfect for someone who wants to keep track of your daily intake without having to constantly refill. Larger size still fits conveniently in your cup holder.
Temperature – No insulation means it will lose temperature fairly quick, but the wide mouth makes adding ice easy.
Durability – Made from Tritan copolyester plastic which is a highly durable material.
Convenience – This bottle has an innovative measurement system that shows you how much to drink every hour. The wide mouth coupled with an infuser gives you the ability to naturally flavor your water. The simple, one-click lid is leak-proof and lockable making it easy to drink with one hand which comes in handy as a car water bottle.
Cons – Since it is plastic, you will experience a sweaty bottle. Lack of insulation.
- Durable, double-walled, vacuum-insulated 18/8 stainless steel bottle keeps drinks cold up to 58 hours or hot up to 20 hours
- High-flow spout allows you to hydrate quickly
- Button-operated AUTOSEAL feature seals the lid between Sips to eliminate spills and leaks, and a patented slide lock prevents the accidental pushing of the button while you're on the go
Size – Another bottle with convenient sizes: 24-ounce and 40-ounce versions.
Temperature – Double-walled vacuum insulation will keep drinks cool as long as 31 hours! This bottle outperforms with warm beverages too. Hot drinks remain at temperature for up to 11 hours.
Durability – Stainless steel 18/8 which is highly durable and will resist most bumps and drops.
Convenience – The cap on this one has a push button that seals the bottle. This is terrific because it eliminates leaks. There is even a slide lock on the side which helps prevent an accidental push to open the lid. A cover for the spout is included so that you can throw it in a bag and not have to worry about germs or dirt on the mouthpiece. It is also easy to clean with the drop down lid feature.
Cons – Seals so tight that drinking through the straw is sometimes difficult.
- A LIFESTYLE: A lead-free glass water bottle with twist cap is an excellent source of hydration when on-the-go or working out. The silicone sleeve creates a weight-balanced feel. A convenient carry hook lets you attach the glass bottle to belt loops.
- CONVENIENT SIP LID: This BPA free sip lid is easy to drink from, durable, and a cinch to clean. Perfect for your car's cup holder or for sipping at your desk, the hands-free sip lid makes it easy for you to keep sipping even when you're busy or on-the-go.
- Premium bottles and lids: Our innovative Line of insulated hydration solutions come in a range of sizes. We offer water bottles in 18, 24, 32, 40, and 64 oz. sizes, Beverage makers and pitchers in 1 qt and 2 qt sizes.
Size – This bottle is a good mid-sized 22 ounce. Not too large or bulky.
Temperature – Like most glass bottles, it is non-insulated but the silicone wrap helps keep the temperature cold a little longer.
Durability – This is a durable glass bottle that when protected by the included silicone wrap will take a good drop without shattering.
Convenience – The opening has large threading making it easy to open and close. The size and shape make it ergonomic and it will fit in your cup holder. The silicone wrap makes it easily graspable. Glass bottles do not retain flavors so you will have a nice crisp taste no matter what you previously toted in the bottle.
Cons – No insulation limiting the time your beverage will remain cold. Also, glass tends to sweat which will soak surfaces or the inside of your bag.
- Double-wall steel insulated bpa-free hydration bottle keeps liquids cool or hot for hours, holds 16.9 Fluid ounces (500 ML)
- IP67 Certified waterproof and sand proof
- Internal rechargeable lithium ion battery in the speaker plays for up to 8 hours on one charge (charging cable included)
Size – This Aquio bottle is a little smaller than others on this list coming in at 16 ounces.
Temperature – The double wall insulation will keep your drink cool up to 24 hours or hot up to 14. So if you like a cold drink on your nightstand, this bottle is perfect.
Durability – Stainless steel will give you exceptional durability. So, if you tend to drop things or bump it around in your bag, this bottle will take what you throw at it.
Convenience – Designed to easily sit in a cup holder. It includes a convenient carry strap. Also, how cool is it that there is a removable, water and sand proof Bluetooth speaker integrated right into it? This is a great feature to take on a hike, the beach, or on a walk.
Cons – The speaker makes the bottle much heavier. Being that it is double-walled and stainless steel, it is already a heavier bottle by default.
- PORTABLE - sturdy and comfortable to drink from; rolls up for compact travel; loops around your wrist for easy carry; attaches to your bag for quick access
- DURABLE - tough enough to survive drops with its flexible, shatter-proof silicone body, ensuring you stay hydrated NOMADer the journey or activity
- LEAKPROOF - eliminates leaks and spills with patented, sealing twist cap, doubling as a hygienic spout cover to keep germs off your mouthpiece
Size – This bottle has a 25-ounce capacity so it would be ideal for a gym session or short run.
Temperature – You can use hot or cold beverages in this bottle. You can even safely freeze the entire thing to keep drinks colder, longer.
Durability – Made of a flexible silicone body, these are very durable since they can be rolled up or folded. Of course, they will survive pretty much any drop since they are shatterproof.
Convenience – Nothing is more convenient than being able to fold up your bottle and pack it away. There is a carry strap that can be used to wrap the bottle when it is empty. It is dishwasher safe and has a hygienic spout and cover to keep germs away. Can still be carried easily in a cup holder. It also does not leave a weird aftertaste or retain flavors.
Cons – No insulation to keep beverages at their ideal temperature. Silicone may be bump proof, but it is not puncture proof.
- GLOWS to remind you to stay hydrated.
- Tracks water intakes and syncs with smartphones (iOS and Android) via Bluetooth.
- Integrates with Fitbit, Apple Watch, and other activity trackers to adjust your daily water goal to your daily activity level.
Size – Hidrate Spark holds a decent 24 ounces of liquid.
Temperature – No insulation so it does not hold temperatures for long periods of time.
Durability – The bottle is very durable since it is constructed of resilient plastic.
Convenience – This bottle will actually glow to remind you that you need to drink. It syncs with your phone and fitness trackers to track your daily intake. Yet, it is still dishwasher safe. Great for the office, it will fit into a cup holder and then sit on your desk to remind you to drink.
Cons – Batteries need to be changed occasionally. Without insulation, you need to drink up before the temperature warms up. You also cannot use substances other than plain water because of the sensor in the bottle.
- Vacuum Insulated: The Simple Modern Wave water bottle is double-walled and vacuum insulated, which keeps your favorite beverage hot or cold for hours
- Premium 18/8 Stainless Steel: Bottle is made from high-quality, food-grade 18/8 stainless steel and is coated in a durable finish
- Premium Copper Coated Insulation Layer: The exterior of the inner wall, in the vacuum sealed area, is coated in a thin layer of copper for added insulation
Size – The Wave comes in a variety of sizes ranging from 9 to 34 ounces. So, you will find the perfect size bottle.
Temperature – This bottle is vacuum insulated providing you with 24 hours of cold or 10 hours of hot.
Durability – Made of stainless steel so you can expect this bottle to last.
Convenience – Thin bottle-shaped container easily fits a cup holder. No-sweat exterior, leak and spill proof.
Cons – Thin neck makes it difficult to clean unless you have a bottle brush.
- Made from BPA-free, impact resistant and dishwasher durable Eastman Tritan copolyester
- Easy opening hygienic push button sipper lid with locking ring
- Rotating meter lets you monitor your daily water consumption
Size – Handy 24 ounce capacity for any occasion.
Temperature – Non-insulated
Durability – Ergonomic and durable textured Eastman Tritan copolyester bottle designed to withstand wear and tear
Convenience – This bottle has a ring to keep track of how many refills you have gone through. The texture improves grip and there is a carry strap for easy travel.
Cons – May experience sweating on its exterior. No insulation.
- Ultra durable BPA-free 3-ply material. Dishwasher safe
- Foldable, portable and flexible. Reusable and Freezable
- Wide mouth opening; integrated clip keeps rolled bottles pocket friendly
Size – These “anti-bottles” come in convenient 1liter and .7 liter sizes.
Temperature – No insulation
Durability – It will endure regular cleaning and is constructed from 3-ply polyethylene & nylon. Depending on your level of use, you should get about 3 years out of a bottle.
Convenience – This pouch-like water bottle is reusable, freezable, fold-able, and can be attached via a clip that doubles to keep empty bottles rolled up. Wide mouth is great for filling and cleaning. Won’t sit right in your cup holder.
Cons – Absence of insulation does not give you a long chill time. It also can be punctured if hit hard enough.
Size – This is a 26-ounce size that is easy to take with you on the go.
Temperature – Vacuum insulated, this bottle will give you an entire day of cold or half a day of hot retained temperatures.
Durability – Made of incredibly durable 18/8 stainless steel with vacuum insulation. No fancy add-on parts so there is less to worry about breaking.
Convenience – The wide mouth makes drinking and cleaning easy.
Cons – Has a higher price point than other bottles. Not lightweight. It also has a convenient carry handle and fits your cup holder.
Staying hydrated is imperative to your health yet at times it is difficult to reach recommended amounts. A reusable water bottle can help by making it convenient to take water with you in the car. There are as many types of bottles out there as there are personalities. Thus, there will be a bottle out there to match your lifestyle and keep your health on track.