3 9 3
Getting back to your workout routine after having a baby can be a tough experience. Your body has gone through a lot, and you may find yourself struggling to get back to your pre-baby weight and activity level. It is important to get moving so that your energy levels will increase, and you will start to feel like your old self. This is where jogging and running strollers come into play.
Even fathers may have taken a break on exercising during the excitement of having a little one and need to get back into a workout routine. One of the best ways to ease back into an exercise regimen is through walking and then light jogging. Jogging and running strollers can help you walk and jog safely with your baby.
- 1 Why You Need a Jogging or Running Stroller
- 2 What Makes a Good Running Stroller
- 3 Best Jogging and Running Strollers
- 3.1 Graco Fastaction Fold Jogger Click Connect Stroller
- 3.2 Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
- 3.3 BOB Revolution Flex Stroller
- 3.4 Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Stroller
- 3.5 BOB Revolution Flex Duallie Jogging Stroller
- 3.6 Baby Jogger Summit X3 Single Stroller
- 3.7 Baby Trend Xcel Jogger Stroller
- 3.8 BOB Revolution PRO Stroller
- 3.9 J is for Jeep Brand Adventure All-Terrain Stroller
- 3.10 Schwinn Turismo Swivel Single Jogger
- 3.11 Thule Urban Glide Stroller
- 4 What Others are Saying about Jogging and Running Strollers
- 5 Conclusion
Why You Need a Jogging or Running Stroller
A daily jog can be a great way to get back into shape. Jogging and running strollers allow you to take your baby with you. In addition to your workout, your baby will also get some much-needed time outdoors. If you plan on jogging or running with your baby, you need a stroller specially designed for faster speeds and bumpy terrain. These running strollers are made to absorb and distribute shock so that your baby is not so jostled.
Most have three large wheels with bike-style tires and a reclining position for your baby’s comfort. Mothers should not begin working out at all until at least six weeks after birth, once they have gotten the okay from your doctor. Your baby should not be placed in a jogger until at least six months old. Even with the added shock absorption, a baby under six months does not have the head control needed to take faster speeds and bumps. You should consult with your baby’s doctor before you start to run with him or her.
Before you buy a jogging or running stroller, you should think about how often and where you will be running. The paved sidewalks of a park or neighborhood will require a different sort of stroller than trail running over rough terrain. You will also want to think about if you plan on having another baby and if you should buy a stroller to accommodate two children.
What Makes a Good Running Stroller
When looking at jogging and running strollers, there are many things you need to take into consideration.
You want the best stroller for both your baby’s and your own comfort. First, you need to consider if you want a stroller dedicated for running or if you want a stroller that you can also use for everyday purposes. If you are a serious runner or plan on running over some rough terrain, then you will need a stroller that can handle the wear and tear you will put on it. If you need a stroller that can-do double duty for both jogging and everyday use like trips to the store, you may want one that will offer more maneuverability.
Control and Maneuverability
Most strollers made for running feature three wheels, two in the back and one in the front. This allows for both maneuverability and stability over bumps. The front wheel may swivel for all terrain types or may be locked. Many strollers will allow you to switch between swivel and fixed based on your needs. The stroller should have a braking mechanism. Almost all will have a foot pedal brake, but some will also have a hand brake for emergency stops.
Jogging strollers tend to be lightweight but should feel incredibly stable. You will want to make sure the stroller you choose is the right height for you. Many will feature an adjustable handlebar. This may require adjustment a few times before finding the height that is perfect for running. You also want to make sure there is a strap on the back of the stroller that attaches to your wrist. This strap is an important safety precaution that prevents the stroller from getting too far away from you if you go down a hill.
Strollers will have either a three-point harness or a five-point harness. You should look for a five-point harness that goes over the shoulders, as your baby will be jostled around during your run and he or she needs to be as secure as possible.
Running strollers may also feature a reclinable seat for your child’s comfort. These strollers tend to have seats that are a little reclined so that your baby’s head does not move as much. There are many other features that can make your run more convenient. You want to look for a sunshade that offers plenty of coverage so that your baby is not blinded by the sun.
Several strollers for running will have a parent tray on the handlebar that will hold a water bottle, cell phone, keys and more. You may also want one with a tray for your child. I often put a sippy cup of water in my baby’s tray when we run on a hot day.
Most running strollers also have a cargo space underneath so that you can store anything else you want to take with you on your run. This is perfect space to take extra diapers, sunscreen and a blanket if it is cool outside.
Best Jogging and Running Strollers
With the above things in mind, here are 11 of the best jogging and running strollers on the market today, listed in no particular order:
Graco Fastaction Fold Jogger Click Connect Stroller
One of the biggest advantages of this jogger is that it is made to accept any of the Grac Click Connect infant seats. This a stroller you can use from birth on through the toddler and preschool years. If you are wanting a jogger that can also be used as an everyday stroller, this one will work well, as it has a locking front wheel.
- Stroller travel system includes the Graco Snug Ride Click Connect 35 infant car seat, rear-facing for infants from 4-35 pounds and up to 32"
- One-second, one-hand fold provides the ultimate in convenience for moms on-the-go
- Jogging travel system features air-filled rubber tires that offer suspension for a smooth ride on any terrain
|Other features include a smartphone holder and reflective tape, which can help keep you safe when running in the evening or night. For your convenience, the stroller folds and opens in one second.||This stroller is large and may not fit comfortably in your cargo space. It is also better suited to tall people.|
Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller
This stroller is compatible with all Baby Trent infant car seats so that you can begin using it from birth. The front wheel locks so that you can use it for jogging, or you can unlock so that it can swivel for extra maneuverability in tight spaces.
- Baby Trend Expedition Jogger**
- Lockable front swivel wheel for ease of maneuverability
- All terrain bicycle tires
|This stroller has a five-point harness for your baby’s safety and a large canopy to keep the sun off your baby. Parent and child cup holders make it easy for both you and your baby to stay hydrated during hot weather runs.||The main cons of this stroller is that it does not offer one-handed folding or one-footed braking.|
BOB Revolution Flex Stroller
The BOB Brand is at the higher end of the jogging strollers and for good reason. These strollers are made for serious runners.
- Fit: Birth to 75 pounds; 0 - 8 weeks with the use of an Infant Car Seat Adapter & compatible Infant Car Seat; child height 44". Dimensions 25.4"W x 43" H x 44" D
- Smooth; speedy stability: locking swivel-front wheel; air-filled tires; and mountain bike-style suspension system
- Adjustable & Safe: 9-position adjustable handlebar with wrist strap; no-rethread five-point harness; near-flat recline; and extra-large UPF 50+ canopy
|One of the stroller’s big features is its unique suspension system that can be adjusted based on the terrain. This greatly assists when going over some of the rougher pavement in a neighborhood or even off-road trails. It has an extra padded seat for your child’s comfort.||One of the cons of this stroller is that it does not come standard with a parent or child tray; these must be purchased separately.|
Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Stroller
One of the best features of this stroller is its higher seat. Some babies love to see where they are going, so this stroller would be great for him or her to look around our neighborhood while you are jogging.
- Extra wide seat sits high to give child great visibility, multi-position seat recline
- Includes parent organizer, running leash, and tire pump
- Quick release 16" rear wheels and 12.5" swivel front wheel that locks straight
|This stroller is also one of the lightest and has an easy and compact fold. This is nice if you do not have a large cargo space or storage space in your home. This stroller has a larger seat, making it a good fit for older or larger children. The large sunshade will keep your child out of the sun, even at midday.||This stroller is not the best choice if you are running over terrain, as it is a little bumpier than some of the others.|
BOB Revolution Flex Duallie Jogging Stroller
This stroller offers some great features if you plan on jogging with two children. The stroller is compatible with BOB infant seats or Britax infant seats with an adapter that is sold separately. This allows you to use this stroller for both your newborn and your older child. Like the single child version of this stroller, The Duallie also has an adjustable suspension to give you a smooth ride over any terrain.
- Fit: Birth to 50 pounds each seat; 0 - 8 weeks with the use of an Infant Car Seat Adapter & compatible Infant Car Seat; child height 44". Dimensions 30.5" W x 43" H x 48" D
- Smooth; speedy stability: Locking swivel-front wheel; air-filled tires; and mountain bike-style suspension system
- Adjustable & Safe: 9-position adjustable handlebar with wrist strap; no-rethread five-point harness; independent near-flat recline; ventilated seats; and extra-large UPF 50+ canopies
|It also has an adjustable handlebar so that parents of different heights will be comfortable. Each seat reclines individually, so one of your children can nap while the other can sit up.||One of the major issues with this stroller is that it is not a good stroller for daily use. It is much too big to use in indoor locations and is only comfortable outside.|
Baby Jogger Summit X3 Single Stroller
This stroller has a switch on the handlebar that allows for an easy switch between a fixed and swivel wheel. It has a handbrake on the handlebars, making it easy for you to make sudden stops on difficult terrain.
- Patented quick fold technology fold your stroller with one hand
- 16" rear and 12" front air filled tires with front wheel lock mounted on the handlebar for easy conversions between jogger and stroller mode
- All wheel suspension system soaks up road bumps
|The sunshade has a window you can open to check on your baby without stopping your run. This stroller can handle a larger child and has a smooth ride.||Some issues include difficulty securing the foot brake and a wide wheel base that makes it seem like it might tip over on difficult terrain. The stroller must also lie flat when folded, making it take up more storage space.|
Baby Trend Xcel Jogger Stroller
One of the biggest features of this stroller is that it is lightweight and easy to fold. It will easily fit in your cargo space or home. It has a tray for you on the handlebar and a tray for your child in front of the seat.
- Large bicycle tires roll effortlessly over all surfaces
- Accepts all Baby Trend infant car seat models
- Front Swivel Wheel for easy maneuvering, locks for jogging
|You can store you cell phone, MP3 player, water and more. You can also put a snack and drink for your child in the front. This stroller has a suspension that can handle rough terrains.||One of the main issues with the stroller is with the tires. If you use the stroller frequently and need to air the tires often, they are difficult to get to with a bike pump and may take some extra effort.|
BOB Revolution PRO Stroller
This stroller is the deluxe edition of the running strollers. It has an incredible list of safety features, including rear drum brakes that can accessed from the handlebar. This feature alone makes this stroller safe and easy to brake if you are running on rough terrain and hills.
- Locking swivel-front wheel for stability when jogging and easy mobility while on the go in the city. The frame material is high strength aluminum alloy
- Air-filled tires and mountain bike-style suspension system offers an ultra-smooth ride, while the adjustable handlebar with hand brake provides downhill control
- No-rethread harness, one-hand near-flat recline, and 2-step fold allows for easy adjustments; ventilated, padded seat and extra-large UPF 50+ canopy ensures a cool, comfortable journey
|The sunshade has vents to keep your child cool on hot days and SPF 50 to protect him or her from the sunlight. Air-filled tires and an adjustable suspension system will give your child a smooth ride, no matter how bumpy the road or trail.||One of the main cons of this stroller is that it is heavy, making it a difficult choice if you’ll be putting it in and out of your car every day.|
J is for Jeep Brand Adventure All-Terrain Stroller
This stroller has many features for parent and child comfort. It has two drink holders for parents, which can be convenient if you need more than one water or a water and sports drink.
- Child features: five-point harness with soft shoulder pads, multi-position reclining padded seat and extendable European-style canopy with sun visor
- Parent-friendly features: foam comfort handle bar with safety tether strap, parent tray with two cup holders and clear smart phone storage, child tray swings up and out to load and unload easily, extra-large storage undercarriage storage bin
- Quick locking and compact folding for easy storage and travel
|If you need to easily see your smart phone, it has a clear storage compartment. For your child’s comfort, it has a safety strap covers and a seat that reclines in several positions.||You cannot change the height of the handlebar, so it may not be a comfortable push for all heights. It also does not have as smooth of a ride as some of the other models listed, so it may not be suitable for all terrains.|
Schwinn Turismo Swivel Single Jogger
One of the biggest features of this stroller is that it is light and easy to maneuver, yet still provides a smooth ride over most terrains. You can change the height of the handlebar, so it can be used comfortably by people of different heights. Parents of different heights will appreciate this feature as they can both use the stroller comfortably.
- Aluminum frame for easy handling; dual trigger folding mechanism offers uncompromised safety
- Recommended for children 6 months and up
- Molded, flip open child tray with dual cup holders & molded parent tray with dual fin grip cup holders
|The stroller has MP3 speakers in the canopy so that your child can listen to music.||While the stroller has a large sunshade, if you pull it too far forward, your child will be exposed in the back. This is not a great situation if you will be running during the sunnier parts of the day. The stroller has two back brakes, one on either side, meaning that you cannot brake quickly.|
Thule Urban Glide Stroller
This stroller has many high-end features, including a suspension system that allows for a smooth ride over even the roughest of terrains. The handlebar can be adjusted for different heights. You can purchase an adapter to make it compatible with several types of infant car seats, so you can begin using it at birth.
- A lightweight, all-terrain stroller perfect for jogging or strolling through town
- Swivel front wheel locks into place for jogging
- Large 16" rear wheels plus suspension for an ultra smooth ride
|The storage compartment has a weather cover, which is convenient if it starts raining or snowing while you are out. It has a reclining seat and will lie almost completely flat if your child wants to take a nap while you are on a run.||One of the biggest cons of this stroller is the steep price tag. Despite its expensive price, some parents have reported quality issues.|
What Others are Saying about Jogging and Running Strollers
“If you do plan on walking a lot or jogging, then the jogger is probably the best bet. I had one and liked that the front wheel could be locked into place, so it wouldn’t turn, or spin, on you all of a sudden.”
“I am 100% pro jogging stroller. I couldn’t wait to get her [my daughter] into the jogging stroller which we used everywhere we love trails, and hiking and dirt roads and even sidewalks and curbs became so easy.”
“I got one when DD [Darling Daughter] was maybe 10 months and it’s great for walks and things (I’m not a jogger but I rollerblade with it).”
Jogging and running strollers can help you to get in a workout while taking your baby with you. It provides a smooth ride over bumps, rocky terrain and hills and is much more comfortable than a regular stroller for both you and your baby. These strollers can serve as a great solution for you to go running and jogging. Many of them are also suitable for everyday use and, with a car seat adapter, can be used from birth. If you choose the right features for you and your child, you can have a stroller that serves many purposes.