Every experienced runner knows that there’s more to running than just runner’s high and the pleasure of a good workout; unfortunately, there can also be quite a bit of pain as well. The pain can come from a variety of different areas – sore leg muscles, tired knees, feet exhausted from prior strain – but in all cases, the pain must be dealt with. And it must be dealt with not merely because it’s pain, and pain is bad, but because overcoming pain is a crucial component of recovery, and because you, as a runner, want to be able to get back on track as quickly as possible.
To assist runners in this, there are specially-designed recovery sandals and recovery flip flops out there that can pamper your feet after a run, give them support, induce a much-needed sense of relaxation and help speed running recovery along. For this reason, a good pair of this type sandal or flip flop is a crucial component of any serious runner’s toolkit.
- 1 Why Recovery Footwear Could Be of Use to You
- 2 What Makes a Good Recovery Sandal or Flip Flop?
- 3 11 Best Recovery Sandals/Flip Flops
- 3.1 1. OOFOS Unisex Ooahh Slide Sandal
- 3.2 2. Telic Unisex Arch Support Recovery Flipflop Sandal
- 3.3 3. OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flop
- 3.4 4. Telic Flip Flop Soft Sandal Shoe
- 3.5 5. OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Sport Thong Flip Flop
- 3.6 6. Vionic Mens Bryce Toe Post Sandal
- 3.7 7. OOFOS Women’s OOlala Thong Flip-Flop
- 3.8 8. OOFOS Unisex OOcloog Clog
- 3.9 9. Gone For a Run PR Soles Recovery Sandals
- 3.10 10. Okabashi Men’s Eurosport Flip Flops
- 3.11 11. Gone For a Run PR Soles Running Recovery Flip Flops
- 4 What Others Say About Running Recovery Sandals and Flip Flops
- 5 Conclusion
Why Recovery Footwear Could Be of Use to You
Recovery Sandals and Flip Flops are potentially useful to anyone who might want to take up running or jogging for any reason, and who wants to both minimize foot soreness from running and speed up foot recovery after running. This includes everyone from athletes committed to staying in top shape, to fitness and running enthusiasts of all kinds, to those who simply have specific health or personal goals that they seek to achieve through running, and who want to get back on track as soon as possible after a run. Whether a track workout, trail run, or long slow distance… impact is impact and your feet need rest.
To be clear, however, these are not sandals that you are meant to wear while running. Rather, you should wear them only after a run. Those in search of something to wear while running may want to take a look at running sandals instead.
Of course, before you can determine what the best recovery sandals are for you, you have to ask yourself what your specific needs are. Are your feet especially wide, for example? Do you happen to like or need large amounts of cushioning? Do you do enough running that foot and leg soreness is a problem for you? Since different brands of sandals and flip flops offer different features, questions like this are important to keep in mind when making a selection.
What Makes a Good Recovery Sandal or Flip Flop?
Running recovery sandals and flip flops have a range of options and features to promote recovery. Each type has baseline capabilities aimed at comfort, but extend this with differing approaches via their features. The primary considerations when choosing a recovery sandal or flip flop are as follows:
First and foremost, a good recovery sandal or flop flop should be comfortable. After all, when your feet are exhausted and worn out from a run, you want to slip them into something that just feels nice to wear. A recovery sandal that it doesn’t feel relaxing to your feet isn’t much of a recovery sandal.
This means that every good recovery flip flop or sandal should be made of material that doesn’t irritate your foot, but that promotes relaxing sensations. Significant cushioning would certainly be an advantage in this regard. These things would be all the better to expedite recovery.
Fit and Contour
From a more practical standpoint, you’d also want something that is adapted to your feet, something that would cushion and support them in all of the right areas. A good sandal will cradle the arches of your feet, mold to their contours and not put much pressure on them. Walking in this kind of footwear should ideally give one the feeling that one’s foot is being somewhat massaged. All of these things are essential to proper foot and leg recovery after a run.
Being lightweight would also be a significant plus for any recovery sandal or flip flop. Who wants to lug around a ton of weight after a fatiguing run?
Durability is another important feature in sandals or flip flops, especially for those who run regularly and need to rest from repeated workouts over long stretches of time. This not only means that the insole of the flip flop or sandal, or the area on which you place your foot, should be able to withstand some wear, but also that the straps can hold together properly after repeated and extended use. The more you’re able to use your sandals or flip flops, the less overall strain will be put on your feet between runs, and the more runs you’ll find it easier to recover from.
Certain other features, like being waterproof, would also be highly desirable. After exerting yourself significantly and working up a sweat, you’re almost sure to want to jump into the shower as quickly as possible; and to be able to wear comforting footwear while there would only provide additional much-needed relaxation and speed along running recovery.
Style and Price
Beyond these considerations, we also have those of aesthetics and price. In addition to effectively fulfilling its purpose, footwear should strive to be pleasing to the eye, and so the best recovery sandals will be those that look good as well as feel good. Moreover, all of the wonderful features of a pair of sandals or flip flops don’t amount to anything if the pair is unaffordable, so the most outstanding pairs should be those that cost a reasonable amount.
11 Best Recovery Sandals/Flip Flops
With the above things in mind, here are 11 of the best recover sandals/flip flops on the market today, listed in no particular order:
1. OOFOS Unisex Ooahh Slide Sandal
- With a name like “Ooahh,” it’s clear that this sandal places a strong emphasis on comfort. Indeed, OOFOS is fond of pointing out that this sandal is made of what the company calls its OOfoam, a material that absorbs 37% more shock than similar materials, and so reduces stress not just on the wearer’s feet, but on his knees and lower back as well
- There is significant cushioning on these sandals, and they’ve got a conforming toe post designed to eliminate toe chafing
- Due to its shock-absorbing qualities, the OOfoam is strong enough to withstand extended use
- These sandals are so lightweight that they float
- They are also moisture-resistant, machine-washable and don’t retain smell
- Some have complained that the sandals look rather bulky and ugly.
2. Telic Unisex Arch Support Recovery Flipflop Sandal
- Many professional athletes wear this particular pair of recovery flip flops and swear by it. However, it has an appeal that greatly extends beyond that group all the way to podiatrists, orthopedic surgeons, and ordinary people
- Soft foot arch support and a dipping, negative heel that greatly facilitates pain relief and conforms to your feet
- Provide support and bounce, making it easier to walk while tired
- Durable and machine-washable
- Not suitable for those who happen to be flat-footed, as the grooves in the flip flop would make for a difficult fit in such a case
3. OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flop
- This is OOFOS’ most popular piece of recovery footwear, and for good reason. In addition to also being made of OOfoam, and therefore absorbing additional shock, it is extremely moisture resistant
- It is universally praised as an extremely comfortable sandal that offers a great deal of support and prepares your feet for another run
- It is machine washable and so light that floats, both reducing strain on your feet and being suitable for long-term, repeated use.
- A number of users have complained that these sandals are insufficiently durable and in some cases, that they can split after only one month or so of use
4. Telic Flip Flop Soft Sandal Shoe
- Heat-activated to give additional comfort by warming your feet
- Rather cheap for a recovery flip flop
- Contoured footbeds and a deep heel cup for excellent all-around foot support, reducing pressure and strain
- They have a tendency to run small or shrink in the wash
5. OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Sport Thong Flip Flop
- These flip flops also contain OOFOS’ shock-absorbing OOfoam technology, making them quite comfortable and able to take significant pressure off of your feet
- Designed to conform to and support the arches of your feet
- Machine washable
- They are extremely lightweight and easy to wear, so that walking in them is a breeze
- Come in a variety of different colors
- They are a bit on the expensive side at $59.95
- Some have complained that these flip flops start to crack and peel after only a few months of regular use
- They are not quite as moisture-absorbing as some other sandals, so it might not be a good idea to shower in them or wear them if your feet happen to get especially sweaty
6. Vionic Mens Bryce Toe Post Sandal
- The soft nylon toe post is very gentle on your feet and works to prevent sweat buildup
- It provides excellent arch support and greatly reduces the pressure placed on your feet while walking
- They are extremely lightweight and flexible, making them easy to walk in
- Only available (as of right now) in sizes 7 or 8
- Can be quite expensive (over $100) if you chose to buy a larger size
- They are not designed for water exposure. Water exposure can make the heel pads fall out
7. OOFOS Women’s OOlala Thong Flip-Flop
- This flip flop comes in a large variety of colors
- It is made of OOFOS’ OOfoam material, and so absorbs extra shock and provides more comfort and relaxation to your knees, feet and lower back
- This pair is light enough to float, doesn’t retain smell and is machine washable
- It comes with a slimmer, more stylish and streamline silhouette
- A bit expensive, at $64.95
- This flip flop is only available for women
- The durability is a bit questionable, with some users complaining that the coloring and other parts of the sandal would begin peeling off as early as 2 weeks after purchase
8. OOFOS Unisex OOcloog Clog
- The footbed of these clogs is specially designed to make walking feel as seamless, natural and stress-free as possible by conforming to your feet
- The footbed also cradles the arches of your feet to remove as much stress off of them as possible
- Soft and comfortable, maximizing the speed of recovery after running
- Machine washable and water resistant
- Highly durable and can withstand heavy and persistent use
- They looks a little clunky and some people consider them ugly
9. Gone For a Run PR Soles Recovery Sandals
- These sandals are specifically designed to help athletes recover from runs as quickly as possible
- The insole is dotted with upward-facing points to massage your feet as you walk, providing comfort and stimulating recovery
- The insole’s foam cushion is both comfortable and durable
- Relatively cheap
- Come in a wide variety of different colors
- The sandals are quite large and so are not suitable for people with small feet
- Some have found the sandal to be a bit too hard
10. Okabashi Men’s Eurosport Flip Flops
- These flip flops comes with a heel cup, arch support and a toe rest in order to provide your feet with the greatest possible amount of support and help you recover
- There are small massaging beads on the insole of this flip flop that massage your foot and provide additional comfort when worn after a run
- Very easy to clean, and can even safely be put into a dishwasher
- Extremely inexpensive
- They are extremely durable and have been reported to be able to withstand years of heavy use
- They are only available for men
- The sizes are known to run a bit large, so ordering approximately half a size down might be a good idea
11. Gone For a Run PR Soles Running Recovery Flip Flops
- These flip flops are especially helpful to athletes who want to recover from runs as quickly as possible
- The insole contains all kinds of grooves to massage your feet as you walk, providing comfort and stimulating recovery
- The insole’s foam cushion is both comfortable and durable
- Extremely lightweight, reducing the strain on you as you walk
- Relatively cheap
- Come in a variety of different colors
- They are technically a unisex flip flop, but they are quite wide, and so may be more suitable for men than for women.
What Others Say About Running Recovery Sandals and Flip Flops
Plenty of people have been raving about the benefits provided them by recovery footwear, strongly indicating that it works. Despite some reservations about its style, Shaun from Arkansas had plenty of gushing praise for the OOFOS Ooahh Slide Sandal.
Amazon customer Bethany Nadeau, who is on her feet all day long, also says that the OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flops are “really like walking on marshmallows.”
And it isn’t just ordinary customers that are singing the praises of recovery footwear, but medical professionals as well. Dr. Robert J. Joseph DPM (Doctor of Podiatric Medicine), from Beverley Hills, California says effusively about the Telic brand, “Finally a day in sandals without pain!” and praises Telic sandals for their “ultra shock absorbing material.”
Recovery footwear like that mentioned above can be a tremendous boon to anyone striving to recuperate as swiftly as possible after running. Placing your weight upon your already tired feet will only hinder this necessary process. Recovery footwear makes running recovery as painless as possible by providing comfort, support, durability and ease of use. A good recovery allows you to more quickly and confidently accomplish your fitness goals. Unquestionably, they will prove to be of great use to anyone does a lot of running.